Untanglit

Default Recommended Configuration

I had some generalized questions that I wanted to ask about untangle and gaming. The particular game I'm having problems with is Company of Heroes. I'm not sure what exactly is happening here but:

Is there a recommended configuration for people who want to use untangle as a router but still be able to play games?

I believe the attack blocker is blocking connections from other people within this game. Can the attack blocker be disabled? I would like to try it just for testing. Right now I have every module off in untangle but the game still doesn't function properly.

http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?t=999
    see if that answers your questions.

Look in the attack blocker logs while gaming, and see if it's denying / limiting connections while you game. if yes, give the gaming machine an exception. worked for me.

Untanglit

Default Thanks

I actually read that post yesterday. I setup a rule in attack blocker for my IP address. I also setup the port forward just a little different as I may have been doing it somewhat wrong (it seemed to work just fine but who knows).

I'm a little confused about the attack blocker event log because it is always empty. Should it be?

It will be unless there is something triggering it. Source based games are good at hitting the wall. Actually, just about any game that relies on an UDP stream tend to nail it pretty good. The few games I own that run over TCP streams don't seem to bother it much.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Brewster, could we get your machine specs?

Quote Originally Posted by brewster View Post
    I'm a little confused about the attack blocker event log because it is always empty. Should it be?
    Did you click the "refresh" button at the bottom of the attack blocker log? They (logs) don't load automatically when you bring up the window. It could be easy to miss.

Master Untangler

Hello,

I too am having this probably with Company of Heroes. After about 15 minutes into the game my internet connection gets really choppy and usually will disconnect. Shortly afterwards I can get back on.

I turned off everything except Spam, Fish and Spy, I do not use Web, everything else would be on. This would be for the open source package.

What should/could I do to avoid this in the future without turning everything off?

Thanks!

did you take a look at the attack blocker logs? rapid port opening / closing can often trigger it (such as in games) and cause UT to shut you down.

Master Untangler

Hello,

I have a very odd problem posted on another thread. UT shows no logs for ANY of the rack open source apps. The reports section has stayed on May 13th, the day I started UT.

What is really strange is that early this morning I received my daily and weekly reports with all the log info intact! In the report there is no Attack Blocker info, perhaps I need to include this? I am still new to UT and getting the kinks out.

So I am having bizarre problems.