Default No connectivity, it's a brick!

Here's my state:

Fairly old Compaq box, 833 MHZ, 1GB ram, 80 GB SCSI disk, installed on Ubuntu 8.04 server.

Yes I know it's slightly underpowered per the reqs but it ought to be good enough for proof of concept. Performance is not the issue I'm facing at the moment, though I accept that it might be going forward.

At the point just prior to installing Untangle, box was working just fine: network connectivity was working through the external and internal interfaces.

I could not install 5.4 or 6.0 Untangle from the ISO because of a hardware issue (hung on boot at pata_qti.ko, whatever that is), but I did an install w/o error using the install52.sh script. Configuration with untangle_client went without issue and both interfaces were configured and connectivity was fine.

This did not survive a reboot, however. I now have no connectivity, at all. I cannot ping either of the interfaces from the server itself, nor can I ping either interface from a machine another machine either on the internet or intranet. For all intents an purposes, it's a brick.

ifconfig shows neither interface as having an IP assigned, despite both being assigned in /etc/network/interfaces. I suspect those are overridden somehow but I've not found documentation describing how (or if) this is done.

I've tried to launch Config from the UT UI, but it takes me to a webpage (vs a java UI) that has no place for me to either check or configure the IPs for the NICs.

Can someone help me understand what's going on so that I can fix the problem? I'd be happy if I've done something silly, but I just don't think that's the case.

Thanks!

Sean

Master Untangler

Known issue w/ Ubuntu install. Try issuing the command "/etc/init.d/networking restart", which should get things going.

Also, take a look at this thread.

Dan

Thanks for the pointer, Dan.

Open source just works, except when it doesn't, I guess.