Default Limiting Windows Untangle...

Hi there!

The whole Untangle product looks really, really neat. I've got a test install of the Windows product. BUT, before I even think of deploying it, I want to test it.

We have a fairly complex setup here, with 2 AD controllers, an Exchange box, a IIS server, a SQL server, a secure connection to our Colo (where the production servers live), etc...

If I just turn this puppy on, I have a feeling it'll break ALOT of stuff until it's configured. That would be...bad.

SO:

I've looked through some of the basic Windows Untangle docs for this, but haven't found it. Is there a way to limit the Windows Rerouter? I don't want it taking over the network from the get go. I want to point my personal machine at it to run some tests. If those go well, then it's time to tweak the settings, test some more and gently phase it into the mix. Or should I just go with the Linux version for this?

Thanks a ton!
    - E

I would definately suggest using the dedicated linux box for your situation. Sounds like your traffic would kill the box running the re-router.

If you go with the dedicated box, you will be able to setup and test by using it as your gateway before sending any other traffic through it.

For my small office, I setup the box and tested before changing my DHCP to set it as the new gateway. I only use it for client traffic out to the internet as all my servers are local.

Untangler

Might depend a little on your intended setup, router or bridge to start with.
    We run the native Linux version in bridge mode, for us it was not necessary to deviate from the default settings for normal service operation.
    Our Current Platform [INACTIVE Until further notice - finally in a new building!]
    ---------------------------------
    Intel Desktop Board type D865GVHZ + Intel P4 3.0Ghz HT, 2GB Dual-channel RAM, 40GB HDD, 3x3Com 309x 10/100 PCI, 3Mbit 4 to 1 Business Cable, roughly 500 users and 220 machines and growing.
    ---------------------------------
    Please make use of the Untangle Bugzilla to vote for and report issues/requests!!