Default Outgoing Email Server Setup

I have a series of Untangle units setup for clients and I was using one of our mail servers and a dedicated email account to relay e-mails for the units. I have configured the mail servers so it does not require SSL and the units connect using port 25 (using authentication).

All was working fine until we had to change the password on the relay account on the mail server. I went through and modified the password on the Untangle units and since then, I can not send any more e-mail notifications. I have tried other mail servers including GMAIL accounts but the email process does not work. Has anyone encountered this issue? Any info or help would be appreciated.

All the units that are having issues are version 6.x.

Untangle Ninja

Hi,
    First what version of Untangle are you running and in what mode. (route or bridge)

Have you change something else in the network that can filter or block SMTP traffic?
    From one of the ut boxes can you telnet to the smtp relay?

Are the relay on the inside or the outside?

And have you tried a reboot?

Thanks for the reply.

The version of Untangle is 6.0.2.

The unit is running in Bridge mode.

Nothing has been changed on the network that can filter or block. The only thing that was changed was the password for the RELAY mail account.

I can telnet from other Untangle boxes to the same mail server (port 25) without any problems. I can also TELNET to port 25 of the mail server from inside of the network (workstations behind the UT unit). As a matter of fact there are a series of Windows servers sitting behind UT that use the same external mail server to relay (same user name and password) messages for various services (backup, UPS,...). These boxes have no issue connecting to the mail server and using it as relay.

The relay mail server is sitting OUTSIDE of the network.

I have rebooted the unit numerous times.

Initially I was able to send e-mails directly from the UT to a number of my e-mail accounts. That does not work either.

Untangle Ninja

Dose the new Password have any special Character.

When you tried the Gmail accout what SMTP server and port did you use?

The password consists of Letters and Numbers only. No special characters.

We use PORT 25 when we go through our mail servers. This settings works with other UT units and other Windows devices.

I have also verified that the ISP is not blocking PORT 25 traffic. I can Telnet to port 25 from client's network.

For GMAIL we use smtp.gmail.com. You can use either port 587 or 465.

We just completed a brand new install for a different client and we have the same exact issue with email.

The e-mail functionality on this new install has not worked even once.

Master Untangler

I have to second this motion...email authentication does not work when you check the box...