Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

If it was mine, long enough to push the button, go get coffee, BS with someone....then come back and be ready to click again.. With XP (if you have AV desktop software) not only do you still have the startup processes (and dont even get me started on companies like Adobe, Apple, Java..etc sticking crap in your startup), but then most AV software wants to do a startup scan which further assists with dragging out the agony (if you can sit there and watch it).

I would say on an older piece of hardware <1gb of RAM and sp3 you are talking 3-5 min to get through everything, maybe a bit shorter if you have gone through your startup folder and minimized what actually starts on boot, or more if you just let "Normal Startup - let all devices, drivers and services" start.

sky-knight, by the way I like your new logo!

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yes, you get to the desktop but that isn't' the same as "booted".

Microsoft is fudging the numbers there by presenting you a "working" desktop while doing a pile of crap in the background. The real question is how long does it take to turn on XP with 512mb SP3 and all current software and AV and get a SMOOTH desktop. That is somewhere around 3min.
    A working desktop for me is usually 60-75 seconds at the most. I never every have anything in my startups unless it is necessary. Anything over 90 seconds for a workable desktop and you have too much crap running. Or you simply have a Norton product installed. if thats the case you could be in for a 20 minute wait.

Lannie

Lannie, check your services and other startups. A bare metal windows installation doesn't finish cranking up background services for almost 2min even on a fast computer. That is why everyone complained about windows 2000... it was "slow" because it forced you to wait for all that crap to finish before you could log in.

Raditude, thanks, it was over a year in the making. My wife gets most of the credit.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Question Do we have consensus?

I see that this discussion has ranged far and wide beyond the original scope.

My original question about the boot was only whether it represented a problem with the hardware or software. I apologize if it was in any way interpeted as a complaint about the product itself.

I just want to throw out that like everyone else my clients and I are holding on and hoping for an improvement in the economy.

I agree that a client that wants to run more than 50 users VOIP etc is not being reasonable in expecting a $100 box to handle the load.

I always strive to instill reality into my client's world by telling them what will happen and what to expect for their money.

Currently a slow boot is not much to pay as long as the product works properly once it is loaded.

I will try to get my existing boxes upgraded to 2GB ram and hope that they will last through the economic woes for my clients.

The requirement for better boxes is not a problem for new installs - it is just a consideration for my existing installed base.

I still think that this is a great product and the hardware requirements are only in line with the great performance it provides.

I completely applaud the efforts of the company and the support forums and will gladly continue recommending the product to others.

TOM

Untangle Ninja

Lannie, check your services and other startups. A bare metal windows installation doesn't finish cranking up background services for almost 2min even on a fast computer.
    On XP, I can click on Photoshop CS4 after 60 seconds and it will pop right up. Yet it is still loading services and etc in the background, but is fully usable after 60-90 seconds.

Lannie

Untangle Ninja

Lannie, check your services and other startups.
    Just for giggles, I timed one of our lab computers. It is a 20" iMac, new core 2 duo with 2Gb ram.

We have Leopard and XP SP3. I booted directly to XP. THis machine has Office 2007, AutoCad 2009 Full suite, CS3 Master Collection and Comodo Antivirus and Firewall.

From the second you see the windows boot window, until I had a desktop I could launch programs with, was 28 seconds. Not bad.

Lannie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234