Untangler

Exclamation No GUI after 6.1 UT install

Hello!
    After UT 6.1 installation I can not see the GUI. In other words, I get a black screen. UT is working, but I can not work directly on it. What is happening?

Best regards!

//Hugo

It probably means X is producing a screen resolution too high for your monitor.

You can try ctrl-alt-minus to get it to temporarily drop the screen resolution. If that repairs it you are going to have to edit the xorg.conf file manually to make the change persistent.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Default Its working now!!!

Hi!
    Its working now.
    I disconnect the monitor and restart UT.
    Wait a few minutes and plug back the monitor.
    This worked for me in 2 different servers (Dell PowerEdge T105 and Dell Optiplex GX270)
    And I got the GUI back.

Can someone explain why its working now?
    It's a Linux Plug and Play feature (bug?)

//Hugo

Basically yes..

The version of X that is in 6.1 is newer... and this "new" version thought it would be a good idea to start with blank configuration files and auto detect everything. The end result is what you see... if your monitor isn't fully plug and play compliant, and the graphics controller fully supported by X... you get this wonderful issue.

Then you get to learn more linux than you want to get into the darn system and manually reconfigure it to work with YOUR equipment. There are several posts on this board calling this a "bug" yet I can't see how UT can resolve it aside from forcing in a vesa based xorg config to run at 1024... but you know what... even THAT won't work on some systems.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Thanks Rob for your words.

I am forever grateful to the developers of this phenomenal product and with all due respect, I give my views.

What I do not understand is why this worked without problems on all previous versions of UT.

Will this error be corrected in a future version?

//Best regards!
    //Hugo

It worked because xorg, the open source software that creates the graphical environment, was easily configured into a generic setting that worked on 99% of all hardware.

Apparently this is no longer possible... at least the way it was done before. I'm no linux master, but if you take a look around you'll find people complaining about the current ubuntu, debian, opensuse, and fedora cores.

They all have the same issue... random graphical issues caused by the autodetection doing interesting things in xorg. I guess we have to wait for xorg to get their crap together, in the meantime all we can do is work with it.

Remember, Untangle hasn't written this software, they just use it. So we're at the mercy of the original developers to have a clue here. Personally I think the direction the xorg people have chosen is a good one in the long run, there will just be a lot of bumps along the way.

In the meantime I'm sure the UT engineers will find a creative way around the issue for most people. For the rest... well, if you're an open source user... welcome to the club. You want it "free" then you get to "freely" fix it yourself.
    NexgenAppliances.com