Thread: UT on ESXi

Talking UT on ESXi

Hello

My company would like to go green and reduce the amount of servers we use.

I'm not sure on how can I get UT to work in bridge mode while running as virtual mechine.

My current setup is

##Internet ## --- [ UT ] -- [ Router ] -- [Internal Network]

I would like to have UT running as VM behind the router.

##Internet ## --- [ Router ] -- [ UT ] --[Internal Network]
    Now how can i direct all trafic to go through UT before it gose to the Internal Network?

Thank you

Untangle Ninja

Hi,

Your ESXi need at a minimun of 2 nics.

Then in the ESXi server create 2 virtual switches.
    Name one switch "Outside Bridge" and the other "Inside Bridge" have the Managmet port for esxi on the internal switch.

Now create your Virtual Untangle.
    Give it 2 Virtual Nic. (one of each switch)

Bridge the internal switchs nic to the external switch nic.

If you have more VMhosts on that server have there nics on the inside switch.

Good Luck

Bridge mode also requires the internal virtual switch to operate in promiscuous mode. To be fair, UT in a VM isn't that bright of an idea... it's like a VoIP appliance. However, if you dedicate the virtual hardware appropriately you can make it run well. Just be prepared to keep UT on a server with plenty of headroom or only a few VMs.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thank you, I'm just not sure on to create that virtual switch in ESXi.

Thank you

Master Untangler

I have had untangle working in esxi for about 8 months now solid. Runs really well and takes next to no processing power.
    I would just recommend that you give the esxi box an IP that you can still get to incase the untangle goes down.
    Also i suggest you read up on some how-tos to set up the switches and stuff. There is a ton out there just google it.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by impmonkey View Post
    I have had untangle working in esxi for about 8 months now solid. Runs really well and takes next to no processing power.
    I would just recommend that you give the esxi box an IP that you can still get to incase the untangle goes down.
    Also i suggest you read up on some how-tos to set up the switches and stuff. There is a ton out there just google it.
    Any chance we can get a tutorial on how to do this?

I want to put UT on my machine via ESXi and have it connected to teh WAN with DMZ, then another VM running a proxy cache, then the internal LAN.

I only want caching of http content, not portal.

Lannie

PS My server has three nics in it.

A How-To in this area of information would cause irreparable damage to you.

Untangle within the context of ESXi requires the administrator to be proficient with both products. If you are, the settings are self apparent. If you aren't... to be honest you aren't qualified to administer it.

If I just "how to" this, you won't learn the things you need about both products to be able to support it properly and you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot. There isn't a massive learning curve here.. it's just a matter of getting an ESXi box to play with, and tossing in a VM of Untangle. Setup a bench area to play... and tweak until it works. What you learn in that process will save you worlds of headache later.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I have no problem diving into it. I think my biggest question is which way to configure the VM's.

Do I put proxy(monowall) in-line in front of the UT box and configure ESXi accordingly, or setup the proxy as another vm, then have UT route all http traffic to the proxy machine and let it go get the info?

I already have ESXi installed and the vmware client configured and connected.

Since I want a WAN with DMZ does that mean I need 4 NICS in this box? One for WAN, one for DMZ, one for Internal LAN and one for ESXi management or can the LAN interface function as the ESXi management as well?

Lannie
    Last edited by lschafroth; 05-18-2009 at 01:40 PM.

You could have the proxy as a second VM.
    NexgenAppliances.com