Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Litchfield MN
    Posts
    134

    Default How to schedule reboots?

    How would I go about scheduling reboots of an untangle box? Right now, its set setup as a transparent bridge, but it seems after 3 weeks or so, the system has to be rebooted.

    We also had a router at work take a dump, so I'm looking at turning this into a router full time, but, it can't freeze or hang when people want their email.

    So, what I am thinking, is every Sunday at 3am, schedule a reboot.

    If there are some log files I should check out to see why it hangs, let me know.

    If anyone cares, specs:
    Dell Dimension
    P4 2.8ghz with HT
    2gigs ram
    250gig 7200rpm drive
    and I think 2 intel nics.

    Runs current UT via updates. Prior to the updates, I don't think we had any issues...

  2. #2
    Untangle Junkie dmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    17,747

    Default

    I would instead figure out why it is having an issue.
    You shouldn't have to reboot it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

  3. #3
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Litchfield MN
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    I would instead figure out why it is having an issue.
    You shouldn't have to reboot it.
    That's what I see a lot when I search the forums.

    I am going to bring the box home tonight and run memtest on it. Anything else I should try? Anywhere I should look to see what is causing the issues? The box has penty of ram, I never saw it's usage get crazy high.

  4. #4
    Master Untangler Big D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Can we have more detail about the problem/symptoms?

    You can schedule a cron job to run a "reboot" easy enough. Cron has its own little scheduler thingy.

    Should be able to run this thing for months on end without having to touch it. We don't schedule any of ours to reboot. Dual core processor would be nicer but that should still run ok.

  5. #5
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Litchfield MN
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Can we have more detail about the problem/symptoms?

    You can schedule a cron job to run a "reboot" easy enough. Cron has its own little scheduler thingy.

    Should be able to run this thing for months on end without having to touch it. We don't schedule any of ours to reboot. Dual core processor would be nicer but that should still run ok.
    All network activity dies, and you can't hit it via the web interface. Just recently, no one had access for the whole weekend to the systems or email.

    I was able to restart it at the console though.

  6. #6
    Untangle Junkie dmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    17,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scobar View Post
    All network activity dies, and you can't hit it via the web interface. Just recently, no one had access for the whole weekend to the systems or email.

    I was able to restart it at the console though.
    can the clients ping untangle? can untangle ping the 4.2.2.1? can untangle ping google.com? is DNS working?
    whats the load like? (run "top")
    whats memory look like? (run "free -m")
    whats the output of "ucli instances"?
    whats the output of "apt-get update"
    can you login to the GUI from the local machine?

    just do some troubleshooting.
    rebooting isn't gonna help you. I know people on the forums do it, but eventually they'll get tired of having to reboot and get frustrated and give up because they haven't solved the root issue.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

  7. #7
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Litchfield MN
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    can the clients ping untangle? can untangle ping the 4.2.2.1? can untangle ping google.com? is DNS working?
    whats the load like? (run "top")
    whats memory look like? (run "free -m")
    whats the output of "ucli instances"?
    whats the output of "apt-get update"
    can you login to the GUI from the local machine?

    just do some troubleshooting.
    rebooting isn't gonna help you. I know people on the forums do it, but eventually they'll get tired of having to reboot and get frustrated and give up because they haven't solved the root issue.
    Haven't tried to ping anything.
    No idea what the mem looks like
    No idea of the ucli instances
    No idea on the apt-get updates
    Haven't tried the gui other then to reboot the machine.

    I did bring the box home from work though. I'd love to set this thing up as a dedicated router and just forget about it. We use our DC/AD for DNS and DHCP though.

  8. #8
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,230

    Default

    As well you should... no self respecting Microsoft Domain admin is going to put DHCP/DNS in UT when superior services are available on the DCs. If you try to force it into UT you'll end up borking AD in the process.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  9. #9
    Master Untangler Big D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Unfortunately the logs don't sound like they are going to help you solve this problem. Need the machine to be in a state of failure and then test all the routes to see where the point of failure seems to be.

    For all traffic to stop flowing I would assume it to be a problem relating to the external NIC since you can't remotely connect either. This could be a bad NIC, port, switch, I doubt the cable since the problem wouldn't work fine for 2 weeks then break on the 3rd consistantly, less your cleaning service keeps hitting the switch panels with a broom. But im just assuming here.

  10. #10
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Litchfield MN
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Recently, the router this sat behind took a crapola.

    Basically, what would I need to do to diagnose this when it stops responding? I'd like to toss this in place of the router, as a dedicated router, but not have it do DHCP or DNS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2