Untangler

Default Gnome on Untangle?

I was wondering if there was a way to run a gnome desktop simultaneously with Untangle. I installed Untangle without a hitch, and wanted to install gnome along side it. I ran:
    Code:
    apt-get install gnome
    This installed gnome, naturally. But this uninstalled the untangle-kiosk and untangle-gateway, which seemed to disable to the ability to install modules in the untangle-client. (I loaded it from the "System->Administration->Untangle Gateway Administation). If I attempt to reinstall untangle-gateway, it wants to uninstall Gnome. Is there a way to make this exist in harmony?

Thanks!

Master Untangler

one question:
    WHY?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by pirateghost View Post
    one question:
    WHY?
    It would be nice to be able to run other apps on an untangle box. I suppose I was looking for a way to use the untangle box for more than just a firewall...If the network I'm running UFW on only has 5 or 10 machines, a dedicated firewall seems like overkill...

Master Untangler

perhaps you need to familiarize yourself with linux. no gui is needed to run other services

i have 2 nas boxes that i built, both running debian64 one etch, one lenny, and neither one have x even installed.

webserver, sql server, and various other machines in my house are also gui-less. there is POWA in the commandline
    Last edited by pirateghost; 05-15-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by pirateghost View Post
    perhaps you need to familiarize yourself with linux. no gui is needed to run other services

i have 2 nas boxes that i built, both running debian64 one etch, one lenny, and neither one have x even installed.

webserver, sql server, and various other machines in my house are also gui-less. there is POWA in the commandline
    Heh....I'm fairly new to Debian flavors Linux, such as UFW, Debian, Ubuntu, etc. I'm coming from a redhat/RPM Linux world into Debian. So far, I like Debian better My laptop runs Ubuntu and I've been experimenting with pure Debian. I did get xfce4 DE started and I loaded openoffice and the like while UFW was running. I was imagining some one using an Untangle box the same way one might install XP and use ReRouter.

I have used ubuntu server in the past...I like it, as it was farily easy to configure and use.
    Last edited by blaize; 05-16-2009 at 06:35 AM.

You do realize that the ubuntu install of Untangle is NOT for production use right?
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    You do realize that the ubuntu install of Untangle is NOT for production use right?
    The untangle install was a different box from by Ubuntu laptop...

I installed the UFW ISO for a test.

Customizing your UT installation will in effect put you into the unsupported category. If you don't want to dedicate a box your only supported choice is either VMWare or the windows version.

Bottom line, you can do what you want but on the next upgrade the box is going to fall over if you stick to the path you're on.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com