Default Can untangle do load balancing and failover?

Here is an interesting question, one that I have not found an answer to in the FAQs, meaning I am pessimistic but will ask anyhow.

The non-profit that I work for recently purchased two Dell R300's to serve as our core router. The purpose for us to get this was for network monitoring, having a firewall solution, but we also wanted load balancing (we are located in the middle of nowhere, currently have a T1 but want to add a HughesNet satellite service) and failover (hence buying two boxes).

I initially looked at pfsense and felt it lacked the community and even the good documentation and that is never good when exploring new software. Someone suggested untangle, and it looks like it will work fine for a firewall and network monitoring; however, can it do load balancing and failover?

It should be available in the next release v6.2 so w000h00!

http://forums.untangle.com/networkin...-wan-info.html

Wiki Details for v6.2: http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/G..._with_MultiWAN
    Dude, Where's My Car?

Thanks for the information Mike, debating now if I should hold off till the next release to make our network changes or go with pfsense. I do believe pfsense does have the ability to actually hot failover to the second router if the first goes offline for any reason so that the network remains running. That is what I was asking about when I mentioned failover.

Untangle Ninja

Why not give the UT 6.2 Beta a try.
    http://forums.untangle.com/networkin...available.html

^ What he said, im sure you can test it out
    Dude, Where's My Car?

Thank you guys. Are the config files pretty easy to capture? The idea of having a cold spare is rather appealing to me, so if for any reason the core router goes down I could bring up the secondary machine with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by sxanness View Post
    Thank you guys. Are the config files pretty easy to capture? The idea of having a cold spare is rather appealing to me, so if for any reason the core router goes down I could bring up the secondary machine with no problems.

Once you have your UT box all setup you can backup the config to a file and load it onto your second box. If you make regular changes just make regular backups so if your main box goes down. You just load up your latest config from your backups to your secondary box It's all GUI based from the Web UI administration. It's more or less a snap.
    Dude, Where's My Car?

Thank you guys, I am really starting to love the fact that this software seems to have a great community. I have 6.1 installed currently as that is what I downloaded last night. I have two questions, I am assuming when 6.2 has its official release there will be an upgrade process and that I can just reload my backed up config file? Any idea what 6.2 will be officially released. It will be another several months before we get the HughesNet.

When 6.2 is released, if you have auto-upgrade turned on it will do just that. Otherwise, during the release cycle you will come in some more and updates will be available to you.

No need to restore your settings, if we do our jobs right, your box should just keep running.

I don't have an official date, but I would put money that we'll beat your HughesNet install date.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>