Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Untangle 6.1 Issues

Hi,

I'm having some issues with Untangle 6.1. My network is around 1,000-2,000 users (see reports below). I don't have the exact number since our Internet connectivity is centralized with several remote offices getting it from the main office.

I'm currently running Firewall (no logging) and Protocol Control. I'm monitoring the CPU usage via SNMP.

Issues:
    ----------

1. When I add in another feature like Virus Blocker or Protocol Control, the CPU usage goes up to 90% and the Untangle box suddenly stops working. The machine itself does not hang, but traffic suddenly does not pass thru the box. When I take out the Untangle (its deployed in bridge mode), Internet access works again.

Is this a case where I need more CPU power?

2. My disk space keeps filling up. I have already checked "Keep one weeks worth of data", my firewall is not logging. Still it keeps on filling up.

disk free: 23.84 GB - may 14
    disk free: 14.23 GB - may 17

I've researched and the only way to this is to shut down the Untangle and delete logs in PostgreSQL. Is there a way of doing this without shutting down Untangle? Or is there a way to tell Untangle to regularly delete logs so as not to fill up disk space?

==

Software: Untangle 6.1 (deployed in Bridge mode)

Hardware:
    -------------
    IBM xSeries 345

CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard Disk: 72 GB (2 x 36 GB on RAID 0) SCSI 10K rpm
    Network: 2 x 1000 Mbps NIC

Reports:
    -----------
    Average data transfer rates
    Per second 1.048 MBytes/sec
    Per day 88.382 GBytes/day

Data transferred 88.382 GBytes
    Outbound 22.508 GBytes 25.46%
    Inbound 65.898 GBytes 74.54%

Sessions created 4.459 M
    Outbound 3.716 M 83.17%
    Inbound 785,218 16.83%

Thanks.

Best,
    Jay

One weeks worth of data for that many users is going to take harddrive space.. get more room.

CPU will burn with both AV and Spam modules if you put them in with that many people. You will probably need more than one Untangle server.

What interfaces are you using? Gigabit isn't enough detail. If you aren't using a good Intel Pro 1000 series interface, or the broadcom equivalent you're burning far more cpu/ram than you need to just to power the interfaces.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the reply Rob. Understood regarding the hard disk space - I'll upgrade.

I don't intend to run the Spam module - but I think I will need more than one Untangle server if I intend to run the other modules.

I think I have Intel network interfaces as the output of "lspci":

06:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) ( rev 01)
    06:08.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) ( rev 01)

Any other suggestions or recommendatons? Thanks.

Best,
    Jay

Nope that one works, soft interfaces in your scale are just silly. But those aren't soft so you should be good. It's the 1MB per second of constant throughput that is going to kill you, also if you don't have the attack blocker installed... it should be. It is the only thing between you and a hard run into the 10k session limit.

I'm not going to lie, engineering this is going to be fun. We have precious little data on networks your size. In some cases a single powerful server is adequate. In others, you get to be creative with multiple boxes.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

One other thing that really bothers me is that my disk space keeps filling up??

Disk Free: 14.23 GB - may 17 1pm
    Disk Free: 10 GB - may 18 9am

Like I mentioned above - I have checked "Keep one weeks worth of data" - so I'm expecting that my previous week's data would already be deleted or overwritten. But, I can still view data as of two weeks ago??

Is this a bug? Because if the "Keep one weeks worth of data" does not work - it would not matter if I upgrade my hard disk drives - it would still keep on filling up.

Thanks

Best,
    Jay

Yes but what does it take to store "one weeks worth of data."

The logs rotate on time not on size. So if your box is busy you need the room to hold the logs.

My busiest installation holds monthly data and uses only 30GB of space on the 400gb drive it's installed on.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Is this a bug? Because if the "Keep one weeks worth of data" does not work - it would not matter if I upgrade my hard disk drives - it would still keep on filling up.
    It is a bug, but the bug is that it keeps 1 month's worth of data instead of one week, no matter what that check box is set to.

The other thing that will take up a lot of disk space are reports.

You can use either one of these two commands to get a more detailed look at your disk usage. The first stores the output in /tmp, the second emails it to you.

Code:
    curl http://www.untangle.com/download/patches/6.0/diskuse.sh | sh >/tmp/diskuse.txt
    or
    curl http://www.untangle.com/download/patches/6.0/diskuse.sh | sh | mail -s "Disk Use Report" your@email.com
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    It is a bug, but the bug is that it keeps 1 month's worth of data instead of one week, no matter what that check box is set to.
    It's funny how you can read one little sentence in a post and become instantly infuriated.

What's to be infuriated about? Bugs happen, and in this case it was directly confirmed by an Untangle developer. This means they are aware of it, and working on a solution. In the meantime you can solve the hard drive issue entirely by simply turning off the reporting module.

Beyond that I think the documentation needs some work here...

UT currently has configuration for two settings on reports. 1 week, and 1 month. It defaults to 1 month. This means you need the hard drive space to store the data for 1 full month of logs within your network. If the box worked, it would allow you to do the same for a week.

The key here is we're talking about units of time, not units of storage. You still need enough hard drive space to store the logs for whatever period you select before the unit will stop eating drive space.

Thanks to the bug this means that your Untangle will be eating more and more hard drive space for a full 30 days before it levels off. After that it's going to rotate over the old stuff and you won't see as drastic increases in storage, or if a given day is lighter you may see it decrease slightly.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    What's to be infuriated about?
    My last post on this thread may give you an idea of the background for my irritation.

http://http://forums.untangle.com/re...t-6-1-a-2.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast