Default IBM x300 / Untangle 6.1 Freeze

I have just installed UT 6.1 on an IBM x300 specs as follows:
    Intel P3 733
    768MB RAM
    40GB IDE HD
    2x onboard Intel Pro 100 nics

Now I KNOW this is low spec but it only needs to serve 5 people.

The issue I have is the install goes through fine, but upon first reboot the green progress bar goes about 10% across then the system freezes (no scroll lock/caps lock/num lock) and a hard reset is required.

If I get in quick and do a ctrl+alt+esc, it stops on "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated". If I use the second boot option [hardware workaround] I get a little more info - it stops on "parport0". After disabling most everything possible i the bios, it stops on "input PC Speaker as class 1". (under the waiting for /dev section)

I have waited over 30min to see if it is a delay thing, but it has not carried on booting and have also searched the forums but did not find anything related to the same issue.
    One thing I know will be mentioned is its a hardware issue - this I can possibly agree on as it is an old machine, however we have just had Win Server 2003 running on it quite happily. If this was breaking down during usage, I would believe it was hardware stress.

O Great Untanglers, please share your wisdom!

Untangler

My box is doing the exact same thing, but it worked fine before I performed a clean install of 6.2. I couldn't find anything on the forums either. I submitted several emails to Untangle support and still I haven't gotten a response. The box is okay so long as I don't need to reboot it. If that were needed, I'd have to drive a few miles down the street, do a hard reset, and drive back to the office.

Odd, we respond to each and every email sent to us for people that have paid support. I'll PM you for details.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I have a P4 933 with 512mb of ram and 2 Intel pro100s I use for extreme low end testing. With the overhead of the new kernel, you cannot run the AV, Spam, or Reports module on that unit without it puking under load just booting, much less under the load of a single person. And, we haven't even gotten to 5 yet.

Heck, the last time I looked the lenny kernel doesn't support 586 class CPUs anymore... so I'm surprised the thing boots at all.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    The issue I have is the install goes through fine, but upon first reboot the green progress bar goes about 10% across then the system freezes (no scroll lock/caps lock/num lock) and a hard reset is required.
    Were you ever able to resolve this?