Master Untangler

Question Migrating from IPCop to Untangle

Not sure if this is the best forum for these questions, but it seemed like the best fit.

Right now I have a box running IPCop, Copfilter, OpenVPN and one or two other addons that I don't remember. Now looking at Untangle, it seems that I can replicate all of the functionality of my current setup on Untangle. I think this would make things simpler and give me some additional functionality to boot.

However, there's one thing that IPCop does that I haven't been able to determine about Untangle. With IPCop, you're able to physically separate your networks. You have one nic each for your external, wired, wireless, and DMZ. All of the comments I see about Untangle only refer to two nics.

Also, the hardware requirements seem much higher than IPCops, even with all of the addons. I'm currently running a PIII 800 MHz with 2 Gb of ram and a 10(maybe 20) Gb hard drive. While the addons use a good bit of ram, the cpu doesn't see much utilization. I think the max is around 30%. It's been a while since I've had to pay attention to the box. It's pretty self sufficient.

So can someone explain to me about Untangle's setup? Can I do a multi-nic setup? How much hard drive space does it actually use, and for what?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that this is for my home network. So it's mainly just me as a user on my half dozen or so machines.

Another concern of mine was mentioned in a review I read. The reviewer talked about having a problem, calling Untangle, and they remoted into his box. Is this enabled by default or something you have to setup? Nothing against Untangle, but I prefer not having an open connection that someone could remote into on my network.

TIA.

You should be fine with that box as long as you have 2 gigs. (memory is more important than CPU). The bootup time may just be slow.
    Hard drive space depends on your network traffic. It uses the hard drive for the settings, event database, quaratines, url databases, etc. I would recommend *atleast* 40 gigs.

You can have as many NICs as you like (up to 8). You can use different NICs for different internal subnets if you like (one for 192.168.1.x, another for 10.0.0.x).

Untangle can access your box if you enable 'allow remote support' in config->support and call support. It is not on by default.

welcome to the forums!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    You should be fine with that box as long as you have 2 gigs. (memory is more important than CPU). The bootup time may just be slow.
    -nods- I'm not too worried 'bout the bootup time as I would be leaving the box on 24/7. 'bout the only time it gets unplugged is for severe weather.

Hard drive space depends on your network traffic. It uses the hard drive for the settings, event database, quaratines, url databases, etc. I would recommend *atleast* 40 gigs.
    I'm still unsure what you mean by this. Even with all of the monitoring, etc on my IPCop box, it still only takes 10GB or so.

Does Untangle store things being downloaded while it scans them? I did have a problem with the ftp proxy/av on IPCop doing this and running out of space. But that's all.

You can have as many NICs as you like (up to 8). You can use different NICs for different internal subnets if you like (one for 192.168.1.x, another for 10.0.0.x).
    How do you set up the multiple nics? And can you splice the subnets? Right now I'm running separate subnets for each nic, but this causes problems with some applications. They won't connect to anything not on the same subnet, so even with setting up port forwarding, I can't connect from a wireless machine to the wired machine.

Untangle can access your box if you enable 'allow remote support' in config->support and call support. It is not on by default.
    Ah, okay. I figured as much, but wanted to make sure.

welcome to the forums!
    Thanks. I actually just discovered Untangle today. I was searching Tom's Hardware(IIRC) and saw YeOldStoneCat's(sp?) post about different linux based firewall distro's. As much as I love my IPCop box, it seems Untangle provides the same functionality with less hassle. And I'm hoping that Untangle will fix some of the issues I've been having with my IPCop install lately.

Master Untangler

Oh, and I forgot to ask something. I keep seeing comments about Untangle auto updating virus definitions, rulesets, etc. How does that work and is there any user notification/control over this process?

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to ask something. I keep seeing comments about Untangle auto updating virus definitions, rulesets, etc. How does that work and is there any user notification/control over this process?
    No, but it's completely transparent.

Here's some fascinating reading: http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/U...p_Your_Network

I also migrated from IPCop to Untangle and my experience is Untangle is much better and easier to configure once you know where to go. I even convinced one of my friends who was a huge fan of IPCop to move over to Untangle.

I have setup an Untangle box with 5 NICs each on their own subnet and used the packet filter to allow traffic to flow between them. You have total control over this so if you wanted your internal network to access your wireless but not the other way around that is possible. You could also set it up so only 1 address on your internal network can access your wireless.

As far as disk space goes my Untangle box has a 40GB drive in it with 31GB still free. I would not recommend installing on anything less than 40 myself but I don't see why this would not work as long as the installer lets you get by with it. After all a 40GB drive is all too easy to come by. I have about 10 of them just sitting around collecting dust.