Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I agree. Why cant we config this thing like any other small router. Plug it in, either let it grab a dhcp address off the network or have a default address set to 192.168.1.1, much like a cisco pix. I think that would be a great thing.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

In 6.2 it tries 1024x768 by default.

If your monitor doesn't support 1024x768 I'm not sure there is much we can do.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

I noticed the change resolution shows a lot of refresh rates above 60hz. YOu should stick with 60hz for all resolutions and this will make it more stable on older CRT's and LCD's. We dont need high refresh rates on a console.

I wonder if that is a source of the problems?

Lannie

Default maybe

Quote Originally Posted by lschafroth View Post
    I noticed the change resolution shows a lot of refresh rates above 60hz. YOu should stick with 60hz for all resolutions and this will make it more stable on older CRT's and LCD's. We dont need high refresh rates on a console.

I wonder if that is a source of the problems?

Lannie
    You might be right on that, but it seemd to be more of a video card issue for me because certain models work fine while others have issues. I.E. Dell Optiplex's work great but the Vostros have problems. If we could find a way to force the refresh rate to 60Hz then that would be a start.
    For now, I am having to image most of my problem installs and then log in via the web to finish them up.

NimRod
    Untangle ROCKS..! :D

Default KVM's

I have also noticed that if I use a KVM during the install that it will screw it up as well. So, is anyone else having problems with KVM's during the install...?

NimRod

All of my installs are done using my bench KVM. It's an IOGear Miniview SE 8 port switch.

I think the catch is, this switch is a soft switch, most of the cheaper KVMs are really hard switches that are relay controlled. The latter KVM type has always thrown issues with some mainboards...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by NimRod View Post
    I have also noticed that if I use a KVM during the install that it will screw it up as well. So, is anyone else having problems with KVM's during the install...?

NimRod
    even on 6.2?

6.2 works through all our kvms
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Strange thing is we have many Debian boxes working via our KVM's without issue, Ubuntu boxes as well without issue, However ONLY Untangle 6.1 and above now has an issue of non operational use via console, Not a deal breaker but certainly a major STOP until its resolved, Honestly this will put a bit of a dampening on the roll out of 6.2GA.

BRW

emk
    Untangler

I don't have the UT machine here at work, but memory tells me that limiting the refresh rate to 60 hz requires only one line:
    VertRefresh 60-60
    inserted in the Monitor section. A quick check of the man page on xorg.conf should be able to confirm the spelling of VertRefresh. For a single refresh rate, it might use just "60" instead of "60-60" (I usually use 60-70 as the argument).

The simplest possible change is all that I'm suggesting for the 6.2 GA. As stated above, there are much better long term solutions. I agree that using X on the UT box is a waste of resources and would rather use a browser from a LAN-based host for general management. The simplest possible on-system menu would suffice for installation.

Default Kvm

I have always used Belkin KVM's in my shop and they have held up the best. I don't know if they are software or hardware controlled but they have always worked and have never failed like the IOGears other less expensive kvm's.... I think if Untangle could put in a "Select Your Refresh Rate" option during the install that might "bandaid" the no video issue until it is properly fixed in the kernal.

NimRod

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast