Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installation issues

First time posting and aside from setting up networks in virtual environments at school the current network I am attempting to setup is my first network. I have been supporting the peer-to-peer network at the company where I work for almost a year and we are upgrading to a central file server and a main firewall on the outbound connection.

So here is what I currently have:

Modem
    -Untangle Router
    --D-Link DES-1108 Ethernet Switch
    ---PowerEdge server
    ---Laptop (testing purposes)

There will be other computers installed on the network but I figured I would keep it simple until this weekend when all the rest of the computers are brought over from the old address to the new address.

I am currently trying to figure out how to at least get the laptop to access the internet. I figure if I can get the laptop through the firewall then the server shouldn't be any harder.

I have configured the Untangle router with a dynamic IP address for the external and a static address for the internal. I have my laptop using the internal IP on the UT box as the Gateway and DNS.

When I attempt to access the internet (google.com) with the laptop I get an error message saying the address is not valid. When I try to ping google.com I get an error saying "Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again." I can ping the server IP address just fine but when I ping the internal IP of the UT box I get a request timed out message. So I know the switch is working.

I am left scratching my head trying to determine if I am missing a setting somewhere on the laptop or if the UT box is not configured correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW - yes I have read the FAQ and User Guide but it just doesn't seem to cover all of the questions I have.

Start with the UT server itself, on the console see if you have internet access. If you don't you need to get with your ISP and make sure your WAN settings are correct.

From there you just need to make sure that DHCP and DNS services are enabled and your lan clients should just get IPs and pop online.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Start with the UT server itself, on the console see if you have internet access. If you don't you need to get with your ISP and make sure your WAN settings are correct.

From there you just need to make sure that DHCP and DNS services are enabled and your lan clients should just get IPs and pop online.
    I do have internet access. I am actually using the Untangle Server to surf the net to read the FAQs and User Manuals.

Config -> Networking -> DNS

and

Config -> Networking -> DHCP

Do you have both of these services enabled? Can your laptop ping the internal IP of the Untangle server?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Config -> Networking -> DNS

and

Config -> Networking -> DHCP

Do you have both of these services enabled? Can your laptop ping the internal IP of the Untangle server?
    It cannot ping the internal IP of the server.

I do not have DHCP enabled because I am assigning static IP addresses to make it easier to track certain individuals on the network. DNS is not enabled and I don't know what the domain name suffix should be.

Well attack the first issue first...

if the laptop cannot ping the internal interface...

You either have misconfigured the client in relationship to the internal interface. OR, something is physically not connected correctly.
    NexgenAppliances.com

On the Untangle Server internal address (static):
    Address: 192.168.1.100
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0

On the client computer I have the TCP/IP setup:
    IP address: 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.100
    Perferred DNS server: 192.168.1.100

The UT box is attached to the first port on the D-Link DES-1108 and the Laptop is on the 3rd port (server is in the second). The website for D-Link says all you need to do is plug the switch in and it should be good to go but I feel the need to configure it somehow.

That is a basic layer 2 unmanaged switch, there is no configuration. Your numbers are correct, if you cannot ping the UT interface you have a physical problem. Bad interface, bad switch, bad cable... something.
    NexgenAppliances.com

The UT box tells me that the interfaces are connected in the Config>Interfaces area.

Finally have the issue resolved. I made a bone headed n00b move and put the internal network on the same subnet as the external network. All is well with the system and the Untangle Router is currently working flawlessly. The rest of the network migration occurs tomorrow so we shall see what Untangle is made of come Monday morning when it gets slammed with multiple users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast