Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Damn Sky-knight you beat me to it, had an appointment and just finally got done, so just downloading it now....I am sure based on your posting it will fire up and work like a charm! Looking forward to it!

nice - thanks for testing this guys!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Some reference numbers.

6.2 32bit install on the same ESXi box as the 64bit unit. The 32bit VM has 4gb of ram installed.

No Rack Modules installed: (but VMTools are installed so this should be burning a bit more than a bare metal install of 6.2 32bit)
    Code:
    free -m                                                   [root @ untangle]
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          3035        333       2702          0         13        131
    -/+ buffers/cache:        188       2847
    Swap:         2588          0       2588
    Same Box with the Open Source rack installed + AdBlocker
    Code:
    free -m                                                   [root @ untangle]
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          3035       1123       1911          0         32        598
    -/+ buffers/cache:        492       2543
    Swap:         2588          0       2588
    So based on this the bare metal installation is using almost 100% more ram on the 64bit installation vs the 32bit. And we're seeing a 74% increase in ram burned with a full rack.

Given these numbers I would say the min ram you want to feed a 64bit install is 2gb.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    nice - thanks for testing this guys!
    Installing mine now. So far, nothing has blown up. Going to go to martial arts class and then finish things up when I get back tonight. Will give everyone the 411 once done.

Master Untangler

So I have it installed. I was able to import my previous configuration file. It took it, but it required a reboot of the system. Not sure if just the Untangle VM needed the reboot or the system itself. Just did the system reboot and all the settings appear normal. The GUI monitor shows 3389.46MB of RAM free and 635.15 of RAM used. When I log into the shell console via SSH (which worked, of course) I get the following when doing a free -m command:

~ # free -m [root @ untangle]
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 3838 855 2982 0 16 233
    -/+ buffers/cache: 604 3233
    Swap: 11240 0 11240

Now that's weird. I would expect it to recognize a bit more then that. I do have it on a system using shared memory for video but it's only configured to use 32MB at the most.

I wonder what's up with that...hmmmm

3838 means you have a 256mb allocation to your video. A lot of the newer main boards won't let you go less than 128 anymore....
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

You know what, I think my Linux math is wrong, not sure. So I'm suppose to take the total + cached or just the total? When I take total + cached, the numbers seem to come out closer to what I actually have in my system. Hmmmmm....darn my Linux needs work!!!

I'm also curious what all is 64-bit. Is it just the kernel, the vm, the applications; is it all or some? Sorry, I'm having a bit of a 64-bit overdose here. Finally went to 64-bit on my main home workstation plus my test server some time agao and now Untangle...<starts to drool furiously>!!!

64bit is mainly just the OS, I think in this case you can assume all the system services like apache and whatnot are the 64bit versions because the Debian repository has them all. The UVM itself is a java process which means the Java environment itself is 64bit...

It really doesn't change anything other than making the machine less efficient in exchange for more addressable RAM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    64bit is mainly just the OS, I think in this case you can assume all the system services like apache and whatnot are the 64bit versions because the Debian repository has them all. The UVM itself is a java process which means the Java environment itself is 64bit...

It really doesn't change anything other than making the machine less efficient in exchange for more addressable RAM.
    I'm the efficiency issue is a non-issue depending on the equipment and load.

As for the memory, that looks to be correct. I can't find anything specifically to change that setting (although it is present on my other boards, I've never checked this one...did a bunch of mobo switcharoos recently). That looks to be the case. Oh well, it answers my question.

I guess I'll be buying (or finding) me an el-cheap video card to free that memory up. Why you ask...who knows, I just want to see that free -m past the 4G mark!!!

Well, besides that, everything looks ok. I'll pass some traffic through it and see what happens. Still hoping nothing blows up!

Well considering that UT tops out at 3.5gb (3584mb) in 32bit... and you have 3838mb shown which is a clear 3.7gb... you just gained 254mb of ram.

And the BIOS option you're looking for is VGA Framebuffer, or VGA Share size... I promise you it's there, but most current boards only give you 256 and 512 to choose from. Gone are the days where you can take it down to 4mb and walk away.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast