Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Untangle Ninja

your graph isn't quite as damning, since you have many timeslots in the graph with no detections/blocks. if you set a more stuff to log or block it would show the hourly update outage much more clearly.

Master Untangler

Since you are seeing it once an hour it is probably run by a cron. Find it and close port 25 and reopen it after the process finishes? Any legitimate attempt will retry soon. The bad stuff will probably too but oh well.

Untangle Ninja

well I'm not really worried about this "ylmf-pc" attack actually doing anything to me - it's an SMTP AUTH attack, and I've disabled that on the mail server; also, 90% or more of the hosts in the botnet running this attack have no reverse DNS record, so the mail server refuses to talk to them anyway (that's what the log entries are referring to). so I don't actually care that this specific traffic is being allowed in for a couple of minutes every hour.

but the fact that IPS goes offline and allows ALL traffic to pass undetected and unblocked for a couple of minutes, 24 times a day, should be alarming to every untangle user who expects IPS to do what it's supposed to do. What if you are using IPS to detect real intrusions, or block real attacks?

Is it really ok that it flat out doesn't work 3 to 5 percent of the day?
    donhwyo likes this.

Untangle Ninja

just for the record, for anyone who ever reads this, everything in this thread is all fixed as of Untangle 14.1.1.

end thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123