Default Tech Talks: Intrusion Prevention Webinar - Q&A Segmenting Network IPS

I attended the Tech Talks: Intrusion Prevention webinar today (Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 10:00 AM PST), and I had a question about segmenting the network with multiple IPS. As from the webinar they said it isn't possible to have rack based IPS rules as racks are operating in Layer 3. So my next question was, can I have multiple untangle devices to help me segment the network with different IPS rules? I did get the question answered but, they closed the gotomeeting right away before I could finish reading it. Making me lose the answer. One of the presenters from the only thing that I could read started out with "If you had multiple interfaces..." that's as far as I got.

My colleague and I were pretty disappointed in the webinar as it seemed like the presenters brushed off the questions. I'd imagine there were quite a few questions getting asked so totally understandable. Not saying anything bad about the presenters but, maybe there needs to be more people helping out answer all these questions in the future.
    Last edited by DRAGON; 12-18-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to brush off questions.

Yes, you could do it with multiple untangles. I don't see how multiple interfaces would help, they all still use the global IPS engine.
    You *might* be able to use variables, but the way the variables are used in the signatures is already defined.
    So that would only work if the existing variables work for your (HTTP_SERVERS, etc)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

No worries, it was a lot of stuff to cover in the short amount of time. Wished it was a bit longer towards to end to decompress all the information you gave, and more time for you guys to answer the questions.

Can you point me to the direction in setting up multiple untangle devices to cohabit in the same network?

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON View Post
    No worries, it was a lot of stuff to cover in the short amount of time. Wished it was a bit longer towards to end to decompress all the information you gave, and more time for you guys to answer the questions.

Can you point me to the direction in setting up multiple untangle devices to cohabit in the same network?
    That depends on your network. You could have one Untangle (as a router) and then another Untangle as a bridge in front of your servers. Or multiple routers... It really just depends on how your network is setup.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com