Untangler

Default Can IPS be used in bridge mode?

Hopefully I won't elicit a Read the Fine Manual response with this post (I did check the IPS FAQ before posting), but will the IPS work in bridge mode where the Untangle Server is placed between the LAN and an existing Firewall?

Thanks!

Untangle Ninja

Yes, the UT will still apply the ips module rules to the traffic passing through as long as the ips module is turned on.

Yes, IPS just scans whatever is going through it. It doesn't care whether untangle is a router or bridge.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks! Very cool. I was wondering how it keeps track of "outside" vs. "inside" traffic in bridge mode with no IP addresses to go by.

I had evaluated several web filter products and was just about to purchase a St. Bernard iPrism when I saw an article about egress filters including Untangle on Dark Reading.

I'd like to post a link to the article but haven't had enough posts add a link yet. You can search for egress filter Dark Reading on Google if you want to see the article.

I'm glad I saw the article and can't wait to install this on our new Dell Server next week and check it out!

Master Untangler

I haven't really found anything that doesn't work equally in bridge or router mode (I have several UT boxes that we manage).

Untangler

Default Link to article

I have enough posts to be able to post the link to the Dark Reading article:

http://www.darkreading.com/insiderth...leID=217201187

Thanks for the post Far182. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sma11T0wnITGuy View Post
    Thanks! Very cool. I was wondering how it keeps track of "outside" vs. "inside" traffic in bridge mode with no IP addresses to go by.
    Be careful here, in proper terms UT isn't a bridge. It is a b-router. UT's bridge cares about direction, and it requires an IP address on the segment with full internet access to determine the path to send the packet.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the clarification sky-knight. It's convenient that it has a 'transparent' mode for easy installation behind an existing firewall when the customer desires that configuration.