Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default IPSec VPN unstable since 13.1 upgrade

Ever since my system upgraded to 13.1, my IPSec tunnel has become unstable. In 6 days I've had to shut off and restart the tunnel 5 times. Any advice on what to look for? I don't know if this is a bug in the new update or a problem with the upgrade itself.

Master Untangler

One of my customers has NGFW v13.1 with ~ 60 iPads users with permanent IKEv2 IPSec VPN configuration pushed out to them with JAMF Pro. From the end user perspective this is all working fine although we can see that many of the iPads are dropping off the VPN connection and reconnecting every minute or two while some hold their connection for an hour or more at a time...

KB2
    Untangler

came to the forums to investigate exact same issue that i am having on my U150
    ipsec vpn is to another untangle device a u10, both using v13.1.0
    but in my case only seems to happen after a few days. it will be fine then i come in to find various replication errors from my SQL and then find that vpn has closed itself again. logs are not particularly helpful to me, other than i can see they will stop logging anything at the same time it shuts down.
    a restart of the vpn resolves, but is pretty frustrating these keeps having to be done.

we did have this on a previous version of untangle, but then stopped with a subsequent update.. but has now returned!

kb

For three locations - two remote offices to the main - I'm having daily disconnects on only one of the VPNs. Since we host our VOIP system at the main site, the disconnect means phones and data are down when this happens.

Are you guys using IKEv1 or IKEv2? I had this problem with some IKEv1 tunnels. Recently I have switched to IKEv2 and it has improved quite a bit.

My first question would be what is bringing the tunnels down?

In a perfect world the tunnel would continue to renegotiate until it cannot or is forced down.

Without any additional details I would say that you are losing Internet connectivity which is forcing the tunnels down. In that case I would recommend trying to set the tunnel "Connect Mode" for "On Demand" instead of "Always Connected". The "On Demand" setting is recommended in environments where Internet stability is an issue.

Master Untangler

For the record my ipsec VPN disconnects a lot more frequently since going to 13.1 as well. No idea the reason, just reporting the results.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Untanglit

Having the same issues suddenly since the remote site updated to 13.1.1 today. Frustrating when I am trying to adopt APs and there are VoIP phones going down constantly.

Is there a fix coming?
    Last edited by kballard; 01-29-2018 at 09:18 PM.

13.2 is rolling out. Email the UID to support if you want the upgrade immediately.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by kballard View Post
    Having the same issues suddenly since the remote site updated to 13.1.1 today. Frustrating when I am trying to adopt APs and there are VoIP phones going down constantly.

Is there a fix coming?
    If you haven’t already, try changing the tunnel config from always connected, to on demand. I know this sounds trivial, but trust me on this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast