Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Unifi AP not reaching controller

I'm having a issue with trying to adopt a AP at a remote site. I can ping the main site from the SSH session on the AP, but the controller will not see it.

- Main site is Untangle 13.1.1 with 172.16.1.0 subnet
    - Remote site is Untangle 13.1.1 with 172.16.4.0 subnet

I can access the Untangle admin from both sides (when the tunnel stays stable), ping everything and all that. Just can't get the controller to talk to the AP. Both sides are checked to bypass all ipsec traffic.

Adoption works via one of two mechanisms...

1.) DNS, unifi.whatever.com resolves to the IP address of the controller. That whatever.com is coming from the local DHCP server as the subnet's DNS suffix. In short, you need a DNS record on the client side to direct the thing.
    2.) You do it yourself, ssh to the WAP, login with ubnt and ubnt, and run the set-inform command. EX: http://192.168.0.8:8080/inform I find that I have to do it twice, once to get the entry to appear in the Unifi controller, and once more to get it to actually adopt.

And well... this isn't an Untangle problem. So you're welcome!

And seriously, fix DNS, that way if you need to ad more WAPs later they just plug in and go!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-29-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I should have said I did all that, sorry about that.

I can ping unifi from the AP and it resolves the controller server's IP address and all. I'm really lost as to why it just doesn't show to adopt.

Is your controller running on a Windows server?

If it is, Windows firewall won't let it work because it's "not local" you'll need to fix that.

We'll also need some more detail about how the Untangle is installed on the side with the controller.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-30-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

UniFi is tricky for the average home user. I can see mine on untangle but can’t get the controller to see it. I have my AC HD and AC pro on different IP ranges. One on eth1 for Wi-Fi main and one on eth2 for Wi-Fi downstairs with nest cameras/home theater.

Master Untangler

Actually UniFi is very EASY for the average home user.

The typical home user has one subnet / IP range, no VLANs, etc... In those scenarios UniFi Controller and AP adoption 'just works' 99.9% of the time (statistic made up by me ).

Untanglit

I am not your average home user but it still only took me 30 seconds to download and install the software and have the AP online.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmarshall View Post
    I am not your average home user but it still only took me 30 seconds to download and install the software and have the AP online.
    Not over a VPN link you didn't. That takes at least 2 minutes!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

My hero’s

Was referring to getting the 2 to see each other on different IP ranges. Yes others are more advanced than some of us.

Master Untangler

I agree it can be a little tricky to get the controller and AP to see each other in separate segments. BUT... If you are savvy enough for separate segments/VLANs, you are savvy enough to read the documentations/forum and add the unifi DNS entry, or do the manual inform commands...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast