Default Windows 7 IKEv2 idle disconnects/reconnects every 5 minutes

We're Untangle log a disconnect/reconnect every 5 minutes for a Windows 7 PC connected as a VPN client to the dial-in IKEv2 VPN hosted on the Untangle NGFW.

Before I dig in to try to find out why this is happening, does anyone here have a quick answer for this offhand?

Thanks!
    -
    Doug

People still use Win7?

The free upgrade is still there...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Does that mean you don’t know the answer to my question, and don’t have any specific experience with this particular scenario I posted?

It means that Windows 7 has rather large holes in its crypto engine these days, and while I don't have any data to confirm that's what's wrong... as time goes on these things are getting worse. The platform is dead Jan of 2020. Now is not the time to fix Win7, it's the time to rip it out and throw it away.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

<hijack>
    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    People still use Win7?

The free upgrade is still there...
    Yes, absolutely people still use Windows 7. Especially those who like a sensible, straightforward PC OS rather than a hybrid mess of an OS.

But it's still true that Windows 7 has gone gray. For those interested, where is the free upgrade? Microsoft says:
    Is the Windows 10 free upgrade offer still available?
    The Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016.
    and
    How do I get Windows 10?
    Windows 10 will continue to be available for purchase, either on a device or as a full version of the software.
    </hijack>

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    But it's still true that Windows 7 has gone gray. For those interested, where is the free upgrade?
    I haven't tried it lately, but I *think* you can still upgrade a Windows 7 PC using Windows 10 media (i.e. download Windows 10 to ISO or USB, run the setup from there), and if it asks for a keycode after install you can still use a Windows 7 keycode. It just won't do it through the online Get Windows 10 app. (in other words, officially there is no free upgrade, but microsoft hasn't done anything to stop it from working anyway)

You can still upgrade, but not all Windows 7 product keys work. Volume keys don't work. Pro/Enterprise keys don't work. Even certain OEM family keys don't work (keys used on -at least- some Dell and HP laptop models). But most keys still do. And once you activate the key with Windows 10, that machine is "remembered", and you won't need to use a key at all if you re-install Windows 10 for that machine.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 10-31-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.0 to protect 700Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

If you have an OEM or RETAIL licensed version of Windows 7 installed, all you need to do is plug in a Win10 install USB key and run setup.exe. Don't have one? Make one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

It still works...
    It still activates...

If you want a fresh install, OEM or Retail Win7 keys still work too. I havne't had a case where they haven't. I've made a decent chunk of change these last few years imaging Win7 installs to SSDs, then upgrading them. I'm collecting a rather substantial amount of 3.5" platter drives as a result.

Windows 7 is a great OS, but it's time to let it go. It's the new XP, forward march! Oh, and don't upgrade anything older than an iSeries unless you don't need the Intel graphics. In general I don't recommend use of anything older than 3rd generation iSeries CPUs at this time. And you're going to want an SSD, 500gb WD Blue 3D VNAND is on Amazon for $84. Go SSD or go home!

P.S. Be careful with that don't have a key button, it'll ask you what edition to install and if you pick the wrong one the unit won't activate.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-31-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com