Untanglit

Default unable to ping across tunnel

I setup two untangles for ipsec tunnels. Currently the tunnel is "Active", but when i try to ping my equipment on the other end, I get nothing. I followed the webinar and no success. Do i need additional NAT rules?

No NAT rules are required, if the tunnel is configured properly you can pass traffic, if it is not it won't pass anything.

What are you pinging? Because the Windows firewall by default is in the way, I'd test by pinging the far side Untangle's LAN IP address first.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by turbochardged View Post
    I setup two untangles for ipsec tunnels. Currently the tunnel is "Active", but when i try to ping my equipment on the other end, I get nothing. I followed the webinar and no success. Do i need additional NAT rules?
    Have you set up rules to tell the Untangle to use the tunnel for the remote IP address ranges?

Also, running a traceroute may be more insightful as it will confirm if the tunnel is being used or not.
    Last edited by jakethecatuk; 02-19-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jakethecatuk View Post
    Have you set up rules to tell the Untangle to use the tunnel for the remote IP address ranges?

Also, running a traceroute may be more insightful as it will confirm if the tunnel is being used or not.
    nope, i wasn't sure if it did it for me. What rules do i set?

Quote Originally Posted by jakethecatuk View Post

Umm... no... That's not how this works.

To the OP, look at the IPSec Tunnels tab in your IPsec VPN module. Each tunnel item lists external IP, remote host IP, local network, and remote network. Those local and remote network ranges are what build the routing table for the nearest network on the far side of the tunnel. The only reason you'd need to make any routes beyond that would be to enable communications for networks beyond the VPN.

If the tunnel is configured correctly, the listed subnets in the tunnel can talk to each other. If they cannot, then something is configured incorrectly with the tunnel itself.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com