Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Minor DNS problem

I'm still in the noob stage with this, but have been very pleased with the results so far. I have UT running on an Atom 330 serving 5-8 PCs with excellent results.

There are still a few minor problems I have not yet resolved, one of which is a strange DNS issue: I use static addresses on the LAN. I've entered all of them into UT's static DNS list, triple-checked for accuracy. All of the addresses of the workstations will resolve, but the address of the UT machine itself will not.

I can "ping [untangle machine]" and Windows says "Ping request could not find host [Untangle machine]. Please check the name and try again."

I use Putty with this machine and the results are consistent. When I address the machine by its numeric IP, Putty connects instantly. When I address it with its name, it times out protesting that it can't find the host.

What might be the problem preventing name resolution of this one machine where the other 10 resolve normally?
    Last edited by GeneralEclectic; 12-07-2009 at 08:27 AM.

You don't put Untangle's IP into the DNS server's static entry list. If you want that to work you need to pull that extra record and fix the stuff on config -> hostname. Untangle will automatically insert itself based on the hostname and dnssuffix information you've provided elsewhere in the configuration.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Oh. Okay. It didn't seem to hurt anything being there, while the stuff in the hostname section was also populated. I removed the entry on the DNS list, but it's still not seeing the machine name. Well.. maybe. Let me describe what I have and maybe you can tell me where it's off track.

1) I set the static address of the internal interface eth1 on the interface list page. 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0

2) On the hostname page we have
    Hostname: blivit100
    Domain suffix: abcd.xyz

3) DHCP (internal) is disabled

4) DNS Server page
    Domain name suffix: abcd.xyz (the same as on the hostname page)
    Machine name list ---
    blivit1 192.168.0.1
    blivit2 192.168.0.2
    etc.

You clued me in to something -- blivit100 is found if the name is given blivit100.abcd.xyz it is not found it with only blivit100, however, all other machines may be successfully addressed by blivit1, blivit2 and so on. Why?? I'd like to call blivit100 by its first name, it saves a lot of typing. How might that be done?

Thanks for your help.

Master Untangler

I was going to agree you Sky-Knight until I actually tested it. My setup:

Cable Modem -> UT (router mode, 10.0.0.1) -> switch -> servers/workstations

I'm not sure UT automatically creates a host record for itself because I am having the same issue. Granted, this issue could be isolated to just myself and GeneralEclectic, but my guess is there's something fishy going on with either UT's implementation of DNS or possibly a bug in v7.x.x. Was this working pre v7?

The hostname section is populated per the examples:

Hostname -> bomber.gilbert.local
    Domain Name Suffix -> gilbert.local

but neither "bomber" nor "bomber.gilbert.local" will resolve unless I create a static DNS entry for 10.0.0.1 (UT):

IP address -> 10.0.0.1
    Hostnames(s) -> bomber.gilbert.local
    Description -> Untangle

then dns resolution for UT's hostname and FQDN work as expected. DNS servers typically add themselves on setup (I think), so I'm not sure why it's not working.

So, GeneralEclectic, if my assumption is correct, you should be able to create the following static dns entry to resolve your issue right now:

IP address -> 192.168.0.100
    Hostnames(s) -> blivit100.abcd.zyz
    Description -> Untangle

Also, assuming the examples given are accurate, make the following change in your hostname section (config -> networking -> hostname):

Hostname -> blivit100.abcd.zyz

Maybe the master untangler's can enlighten us on what the true issue is...
    1. User misconfiguration (although I don't see any other options in the hostname or dns server section)?
    2. missing dns options (A, NS, MX, SOA, CNAME)?
    3. bug in v7 not creating proper records on inital setup?
    4. Limited DNS implementation that needs tweaking?

I'm intrigued... fire away!
    Last edited by marvosa; 12-07-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Master Untangler

Let me add some detail to this since there's apparently more to it than I realized.

This is a five-day-old error-free (that I know of) install of 7.0.1 on an Atom 330. eth0: LNE-100TX eth1: Pro1000/T The topology is:

Cable modem -- (DHCP) UT Router/NAT (192.168.0.1/24) -- Switch -- Lan

Hostname set to blivit100.abcd.xyz or blivit100 seems to have no effect one way or the other, regardless of the settings in the Static DNS section.

I've tested these Static DNS entries:

Entry________________------------- Resolves ------------
    _____________________blivit100________blivit100.abcd.xyz
    blivit100________________no__________________yes

blivit100.abcd.xyz________no__________________yes

blivit100
    and____________________no__________________no
    blivit100.abcd.xyz

Master Untangler

I just discovered another possible clue. There's an HP CP1815ni networked printer that I've set to 192.168.0.200 and hpcolor in the static DNS list. Lookup of hpcolor fails, while hpcolor.abcd.xyz resolves. This behavior is different from the workstations (a mix of XP, Vista, and W7) which will resolve as blivit1, blivit2, etc.

mdh

I wonder if a different OS manufacturer in the printer may have different results. Don't know...just thinking out loud.

Master Untangler

Just a tip... be sure to flush the DNS cache on your clients every time you make a change... or your test results may be inaccurate.

I also have a question... GeneralEclectic... you are doing this to save some keystrokes, but are you aware that blivit100 is only 1 character short of 192.168.0.100? (minus the dots) LOL!

Can we see a screen shot of your Static DNS entries?

Yeah now we're into the realm of wierd...

DNS resolution only ever works with a FQDN. The server itself is always asked the question what is blah.domain.local... never what is blah.

So if the FQDN resolves... but the name does not... the resolver (client) isn't properly appending the DNS suffix. If the resolver is windows there are what 5 places you can stuff arbitrary suffixes? Start digging in network properties... but I'd make sure that ipconfig reveals the correct suffix.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

One thing I have noticed is that if you ARE on a Windows Domain, for some reason DNS Won't resolve without a WINS Server. I couldn't get our names to resolve, only by IP until I installed WINS, and now UT seems to find everything smoothly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast