Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Correction, the free users haven't made anything of Untangle. They've contributed nothing, they've built nothing. Free users are leaches, and worth about as much.
    I think now is a good time to point out that sky-knight doesn't work for Untangle.

We love our users, free or otherwise.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Yeah that too.

Can you tell I've been taken for a ride a bit too much lately?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

You know I just had another idea, why not put some adds on these forums. Don't get me wrong I like to avoid ads and had to turn off ABP on firefox just to see if there currently were any, but maybe you should consider it. I think as active as the forums are, might be a good way to display ads and make revenue.

Untangler

I think this is a great idea. In fact, I would love to see a feature that only paying users receive and that is to turn the ads on or off.

I am a paying user, and I would still like to see the ads simply because I love the product, and I think it offers way too much for such a cheap price. So if I can simply help out by allowing ads rather than paying cash out of my pocket, all the better IMO.

mdh

The only problem is that ad revenue is minute if not downright microscopic. A "donate" button would be a good thing, along with a promise by mrunkel to pick that zit he's playing with in his picture (4 posts above this one).

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The ads are unpopular... but they could work. Spiceworks uses advertising to support itself, and it's a darn handy tool. I'm not against the ads in general, but they shouldn't be graphical.
    I use Spiceworks every day. I just use esoft to block the advertising links it uses. They even tell you what links to block if you dont want to see the ads.

It would be nice if UT gave you the option of blocking the ads on certain clients or all together. The people who dont care would leave it on. The others would turn it off.

Lannie

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    The only problem is that ad revenue is minute if not downright microscopic. A "donate" button would be a good thing, along with a promise by mrunkel to pick that zit he's playing with in his picture (4 posts above this one).
    AND your picture doesnt scare the daylights out of people????

Lannie

mdh

What can I say? He's got a face only a mother could love, and that's if his mother has been drinking heavily for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdessert View Post
    You know I just had another idea, why not put some adds on these forums. Don't get me wrong I like to avoid ads and had to turn off ABP on firefox just to see if there currently were any, but maybe you should consider it. I think as active as the forums are, might be a good way to display ads and make revenue.
    Well duh.. That is a good idea. folks would just block 'em though. Maybe a pre-configured, un-alterable, exception could be added to the free version?
    Last edited by scot1967; 02-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    PCMonk
    Keeping the network safe one obsessive compulsive quirk at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by scot1967 View Post
    Maybe a pre-configured, un-alterable, exception could be added to the free version?
    That's exactly what I fear could happen - the temptation to "force" ads from Untangle's contracted ad providers might be too great.

------------

I've already made my knee-jerk comments in another thread, but one more issue came to mind.

There is a privacy issue that concerns me: If I understand correctly, ads are downloaded from ad providers' sites to my public IP address. The ad provider now knows that there is an Untangle box at that IP address. I think it reasonable to assume that this information is onsold to other parties (since ad providers are in the business of selling every morsel of information gained about web users to their clients).

So, how about this: Untangle becomes it's own ad provider. Untangle vets submitted ads and serves them to free users. Since the ads are vetted, and served from Untangle's servers, users could relax in the knowledge that their privacy and security are not being compromised. Alternatively, since the ads are text-based and don't consume much space, ads could be pre-loaded on the Untangle box and served locally, which might also simplify infrastructure and would allay my concerns even further.

------------

I like the idea of an ad-free "trial" version, say for 60-90 days, which provides sufficient time for clients to grow to love and depend on Untangle and then make the leap to paid apps.

Furthermore, as there are many "free" users who do not need paid apps, I suggest a small annual subscription be offered to remove ads - in addition to the option that ANY paid app will remove ads. The cheapest paid app is, I think , US$54 per year, so a "Basic" subscription at, say, US$20 per year, would be a reasonable offering to remove ads, and I suspect more than the ad revenue itself.

I like the idea of a "Donate" button via PayPal. You could even ascribe a threshold amount (e.g. $20) and get a registration number in return, valid for 12 months, to be entered into Untangle and turn off ads!

One more thing: someone said that free users have contributed nothing, and I know there are replies already, but I also have to disagree. Free users come in all shapes and sizes and some are vocal advocates for the product. One should not underestimate the value of word-of-mouth, especially in open source.

The main reason I've recommended Untangle to people is that it starts out free.
    There are many alternate universes, but only this one has beer.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM