Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Untangler

I see one or two blocked pages a month so I don't think you will see a lot of revenue from me. I also never click an add on a page so there went all that revenue!

I have 8 or so users using Untange from my word of mouth recommendation. They probably have a few each also. 2 of the 8 I know have some sort of support or paid options. That is what you need to grow not some piddly ad boondoggle to drive away your base of users who are your best resource for growth.

Put ads for your products and try to get existing customers to help spread the word. If they see it at work recommend a setup for home to keep the kids safe etc. Lots of free advertising for your products and hopefully we can still trust you. I am starting to wonder? Before this misstep I had no concerns about your integrity. I was very satisfied with Untangle and not following other projects any more. I will start looking at other options just in case.

I really like Untangle and the community here. It will be a sad day to see it go if it comes to that. Especially over something so trivial.

Another paid app that people would probably pay for would be vpn connections. It is mainly a business app and many would pay for that. I use openvpn but many use windows or worse cisco stuff and are already used to paying dearly for that. Once they have one paid app its not too far a stretch to get another or two. Really good voip support may convince me to pay for that. See the pattern? People are willing to pay for something of value. I will not buy the branding to only hide your ads. (almost sounds like black mail) No value to me.

I hope you come to your senses after the twinkle of instant cash for nothing wears off. Stop the hemorrhaging before it begins, it is easier than the life flight to keep your project alive.

This probably sounds a lot more negative than it is intended to. Sorry that is how it came out.

Keep up the good work and get back on track.

Don

PCS
    Master Untangler

I personally don't have a problem with the ads on the free version. Even with the ads, Untangle is one of the most functional free products I have found in this space. If somebody has such a problem, then buy the branding manager for less than $10.00 a month.

I would much rather Untangle have the resources to continue development of a top notch product.

So you guys going to pay for the increase in my bandwidth at our office since we pay by the mb? Playing devils advocate, but imagine companies with 100's of people using Untangle and who knows how many pages get blocked at day.. it all can add up!

So even if i buy say AD add-on or something, i am going to see ads?

i think if anyone pays for any module = no ads, not just brand manager,i have no need for it, but the AD / Policy i am going to be buying soon, and spending that kind of money to still see ad's i think is ridiculous.

Untangle needs cash and advertising is one way, but it is funny that gambling is being blocked for ads, yet i work in that business and those would be the most relevant for our company or people to see!
    Last edited by Mathiau; 01-26-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Logically I'm with Mathiau... the more and more I think about this. If the ads are there to encourage purchasing, they need to go away with ANY purchase.

Essentially, I don't see the ads working with the ala carte sales model.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

so now what good is the adblock module? Guess I'm going to have to install adblockplus on my systems again.....and probably make sure your name gets on the easy list.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bigdessert View Post
    .....and probably make sure your name gets on the easy list.
    I'd hate to see that.

Most of my comments with regards to the direction this project is going are mainly based in disappointment.
    I like Untangle except for the last few 'changes', but frankly what I'm seeing is typical of a company or project that's about to close, last minute scrambling for revenue so the folks behind the project can still make a living.
    I hate to see Untangle falter, but the direction they appear to be headed is not comforting.
    It's not unlike the issue I posted elsewhere, do I walk away from decent cash flow because I'm uncomfortable with an aspect of the network usage?
    Do I disown one of my relatives because they're high in the financial world and contributed to the smashing of our economy to make their buck, because they will see a high 6 figure bonus, and will do it again in the next cycle?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by fasttech View Post
    I'd hate to see that.

Most of my comments with regards to the direction this project is going are mainly based in disappointment.
    I like Untangle except for the last few 'changes', but frankly what I'm seeing is typical of a company or project that's about to close, last minute scrambling for revenue so the folks behind the project can still make a living.
    I hate to see Untangle falter, but the direction they appear to be headed is not comforting.
    It's not unlike the issue I posted elsewhere, do I walk away from decent cash flow because I'm uncomfortable with an aspect of the network usage?
    Do I disown one of my relatives because they're high in the financial world and contributed to the smashing of our economy to make their buck, because they will see a high 6 figure bonus, and will do it again in the next cycle?
    Well I sure hope this is really not the case.

Same for me, I've got a rather large portion of my business anchored on Untangle.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

not large here but definitely a great value add to my customers

I could survive if Untangle folded... but I don't want to think that way. Untangle isn't perfect, but its the best UTM for me. It's simply too easy to troubleshoot and repair. There isn't anything else as flexible, anywhere.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM