Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Blockpage changes

As some free users may notice we're trying a few changes out on the blockpages: Ads!

I'm sure many of our passionate members will have some thoughts on this issue.
    Before we dig in - let me give you some insight into what we're up to.

Untangle has been looking for a way to monetize its free user base and still maintaining the value that the free users love about Untangle. Ads are one possible avenue that look promising so we're going to run an experiment starting with 7.1.1.

What does this mean?

Some free users will see a small ad at the bottom of the block page (when users go to a blocked site).

If successful, this could provide additional revenue which allows us to improve Untangle for both free and paid users at a faster pace and allow us to maintain low prices on our software and services for paid users.

Don't want to see ads?

edit: Users who have subscribed to any paid app will not see ads.

We understand some free users may be sensitive to ads. As such, We are looking to find a good balance that allows users to enjoy Untangle but provide Untangle with additional revenues necessary to build a great product. As always, we would like to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and concerns.

update:

As you know, we have been exploring income-generating advertising on Untangle-served block pages. This activity has generated healthy community discussion, both for and against the notion.

Our goal has been simply to help fund efforts to keep Untangle in the leadership position in SMB gateways. Engineers are expensive, and we need more of them to keep our growing code base moving forward.

There have been some concerns raised about who will see ads and that ads carry the very same risks that Untangle aims to protect against.
    We take this feedback very seriously and to make our ads program better, we have taken the following steps:

* We have tightened our screening policy for ad providers. (The provider that served the gambling ads was fired immediately.)
    * Effective immediately we have changed our ad server to ensure that our paying customers are never served an Untangle ad. IOW, if you are subscribed to any paid app or package, we will not be serving you ads!

Thanks for your feedback so far. Our aim continues to be to make Untangle better; this gives us more fuel with which to do so. Thanks for your support.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

sounds like a good idea

Dirk:
    Its a valid good choice for me (and my clients), no problem, if the AD is inside the blocked page and not a pop up. OpenDns work in the same way

Why is post in networking and not in feedback? :-)

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    As some free users may notice we're trying a few changes out on the blockpages: Ads!

I'm sure many of our passionate members will have some thoughts on this issue.
    Before we dig in - let me give you some insight into what we're up to.

Untangle has been looking for a way to monetize its free user base and still maintaining the value that the free users love about Untangle. Ads are one possible avenue that look promising so we're going to run an experiment starting with 7.1.1.

What does this mean?

Some free users will see a small ad at the bottom of the block page (when users go to a blocked site).

If successful, this could provide additional revenue which allows us to improve Untangle for both free and paid users at a faster pace and allow us to maintain low prices on our software and services for paid users.

Don't want to see ads?

Users who have Branding Manager won't see the ads (and can also customize the blockpage looks already). This includes all bundles which include Branding Manager. (Pro Pack, Ed Pack, Super Bundle, etc) Additionally eSoft Web Filter blockpages don't have ads because its a paid product.

We understand some free users may be sensitive to ads. As such, We are looking to find a good balance that allows users to enjoy Untangle but provide Untangle with additional revenues necessary to build a great product. As always, we would like to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and concerns.
    I do not mind at all...untangle is a great product and a little ad won't hurt free users. For me, as long as it's not a pop-up window ad, then its fine. Untangle needs needs to generate $ so it can continue to support us free users.

I am aware that there are paid modules though getting something back from the free users will generate revenue for further enchancements.

mdh

Is your name getting longer by the day, or am I imagining things?

Oh where do I start...

Dirk, this is another hour long rant from me I'm just going to condense down...

I assume these ads aren't going to be for untangle? Meaning you're going to earn marginal revenue by integrating a pay per click scheme into the free web filter block page?

You realize that pay per click crap is half of the reason we need Untangle at all these days? And you're forcing this content into a mechanism that isn't controllable by any rack.

If you're going to be forcing 3rd party products down my throat with an open source install. You can kiss any installations I would make goodbye. I'll go find another product.

If you're going simply start putting Untangle features and services on the page, I'm ok with that because I trust Untangle to keep its stuff clean. But, without the branding manager, the block page is already a huge ad for Untangle anyway... so I don't know what benefit you expect to receive.

And what about the AdBlocker, and Spyware modules? They make block pages too. Are they going to have a new "commercial" version too?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks for the comments.

Definitely not pop-up ads.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I understand where UT is coming from on an additional revenue stream, however I am with Sky on this one, even the companies that do this for a living and try their best to not publish malicious ads, end up doing so (yahoo, google, msn..and the list goes on and on).

Humor quote:
    Can i put this?
    Internet----Untangle1 with AD pay per click block pages----Untangle2 only ADs Blocker----Lan
    The Untangle2 blocks the Ads of Untangle1 block page?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Oh where do I start...

You realize that pay per click crap is half of the reason we need Untangle at all these days?
    I agree

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM