Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Outgoing ports being changed...?

Hey all!

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm trying to setup serveral game servers behind untangle. The problem appears to be that untangle is changing my outgoing ports (UDP) into some random ports. It's important that the ports remain unchanged as game servers are listed in a master server and send the data through a set port.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening without compromising security?

Any options here?

Outgoing ports are always randomized, it's the incoming ports that matter. What game server are you trying to make work?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Hmmm I'm not really concerned about the incoming ports. They obviously stay the same....

Outgoing is the issue. Several games actually. For example I try to host Battlefield 1942. Users can connect fine IF they know the IP. Sadly because the outgoing ports are changed the server cannot connect with the GameSpy servers to give it's Heartbeat.

BF uses port 14567 for the game. Heartbeat(All seeing eye) is on 14690, but is being changed to some random number on the way past untangle. So this game server is not listed in their server list.

Make sense? :S

No, because heartbeats don't work that way.

From what I can see all you need to do is forward UDP 14567 to your server.

The "heart beat" is an outgoing UDP call that goes to the master servers on regular intervals to list the server's name, and presence. It has a randomized port, because it's an outgoing connection just like a web request.

As to why you're not seeing the server on the master list? There are a pile of reasons for that, not the least of which is the sheer trash that is Battlefield netcode...

And ignore the misinformation that's on portforward.com... that place is a joke.

Are you sure you don't have the software in lan mode?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

For users to connect, yes 14567 needs to be open. As I said that works fine.

I don't use portforward.com

I've been hosting servers for a long time. I made the switch from monowall to untangle. Now this issue. The exact ports are open and the exact server is used.

Something by untangle is going on. I was told by some folks that run another masterlist server that my connection was trying on a random UDP port that wasn't working on their end.

Monowall does port randomization as a part of its function just like Untangle. And, in neither can you turn the feature off.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-13-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Errrr my mistake not monowall. I had that before untangle. I actually was just using a firewall box.

I actually had the same issue with monowall now that I recall.

Nothing can be done? Besides putting the server outside of the untangle box...

This is where I point at the broken netcode that is Battlefield...

Any router worth its salt is going to randomize outgoing source port numbers, they do not randomize the destination port because that would break things. The source port randomization is required to prevent certain types of hacks that can reveal the OS of the originating machine based on its network behavior.

Some googling reveals that you may need to forward UDP 27900 and TCP 28900.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks,

I have all of the ports required opened. I have all documents from EA for this game. Also for other games.

Yeah... well if EA knew how to actually make half decent games I wouldn't be on a personal crusade to see them burn...

If you're running the windows dedicated server I'd stop the server, and run netstat -an on the command line...

Then, run the dedicated server and run netstat -an again. Compare the list, and find the stuff that is new, those are the bound ports that the software is actually listening to. Those ports need forwarded.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast