Exclamation was working but now super slow

Hello,

First I would like to thank all the devs for making such a sweet system. Up until last week i was using Barracuda, it worked well but according to all my clients Untagle does a better job at filtering spam and show less false positives! This is a great system and i really hope I can get it running well!

I have had this going for about a week, the first few days everything was working well. I have a dual core machine running this, currently i am only testing it on one of my racks until I have it working smooth. The first few days the server seemed to work great now though I have super slow page load speeds. The rack this is running is all web servers, most sites are timing out when a user goes to them now. I am sitting on a 50 meg connection, if i bypass the Untangle server everything works fine. I have heard about the QoS but cant seem to find any settings for it to know if it is enabled of not....i know it should not be. Currently I have cut back to only the spam filter and the problem is still there. Additionally I have opted to not filter http traffic or FTP.

It would be great to get this running, If i can I will use it on all of my racks.....just cant figure out where these slow speeds are coming from. Thanks for the help in advance!!

If you dont have attack blocker installed I would install it, and see if that shows you if something is trying to use more than it's share

yep, try installing attack blocker - at the top of the rack - what is the CPU load? what kind of server do you have? how big is the network? only spam blocker is enabled?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Hello,

been busy the past couple days but am going to install attack blocker tonight and plug the untangle machine back into the network

To answer your questions I have never seen load go over .60, it is running a Pentium D with a gig of ram.

The network is large and grow everyday. Currently there are around 1200 email addresses, 25 VPS servers (mostly Cpanel and linux but a few windows too) and about 6 dedicated servers. I am only running this on one not even full rack at the moment, I hope to soon run it on all my racks....some have over 300 VPS's.

Thanks for the help, please let me know if anything I have said throws up any red flags.

I should also add in the little less than one week it was running it was only averaging about 460 Spams and 300 non-spam mails a day.

mdh

If you have a lot of server traffic, that is more intensive than client traffic, You may easily be underpowered depending on the traffic volume and type. Attack Blocker will help you determine if you have a session problem (which is very possible). Doubling RAM would be good too. One way to tell if you have a session problem is with the nature of slowing. If your traffic is okay, then begins to slow, and finally slows to a crawl, that is usually hitting the session count maximum.

exactly is the problem. if i reboot its fine for a bit and then eventually nothing.

mdh

That is the sign of concurrent sessions rising to the choke point. Attack Blocker will tell you more about "problem" servers, but you may need to have multiple Untangle boxes servicing segments of your server complex. The 10K concurrent session maximum is a fixed number, unfortunately. You may also be able to analyze servers and utilization to see if anything can be operated outside of the realm of Untangle, but obviously, safety is your main concern. You would want to know you safely can before you elect to. You have some analysis time ahead of you.

Untangler

I've been experiencing the same thing - is there a command that would tell me when I've maxed out the # of sessions? If one does reach the max, is there a way to reset things without restarting the entire server?

Also, you mentioned putting Attack Blocker at the top of the rack - why is this important and how do you do that? I have Attack Blocker installed and running, but it is down at the bottom under Services.

Thanks !
    Last edited by Mang; 03-18-2010 at 07:11 PM.

ucli sessions 1 | wc -l

will tell you how many sessions you are processing. Thats almost certainly not your issue.

Attack Blocker only installs under services - if its there you are fine.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com