Untangler

Default UT in router mode via bridged PPPoA modem works

Just wanted to drop a line explaining that I have a Thomson TG782T Gateway via PPPoA adsl to the ISP which i've placed into bridged mode then reconfiged UT to Router mode giving it a 'PPPoE config type' then inputting wan IP and ISP account username and password' then using OpenDns IPs for the 'Primary and secondry DNS' then configed internal to 'static IP' for the LAN and it works a treat as they were some suggestions that PPPoA is a no go.

So my network is as is:

Net > Thomson Gateway PPPoA (bridged) > UT (router) > GB Switch > SBS2k8 > rest of lan inc VOIP device.

Hope this helps someone out - ping me if more info needed

Your ISP makes you run PPPoE over a PPPoA link?
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

PpoA is alive ?

PPPoA and PPPoE are not interchangeable. I suspect the OP is confused. Untangle is not compatible with PPPoA. Heck, Untangle is barely compatible with PPPoE.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

thanks for the info. I suspect this works because you have the modem handling the PPPoA stuff and untangle behind it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Default I'm no network ninja...but...

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    thanks for the info. I suspect this works because you have the modem handling the PPPoA stuff and untangle behind it.
    I'm no network ninja but yeah my ISP is PPPoA so basically set the modem in bridged mode then setup UT behind it in Router mode using PPPoE config and my WAN IP.

Again not sure if this is protocol but hey...it works and there's no downtime, outages, slow network responses etc.

Mail comes in fine to Exchange 2007 and UT is doing all it's supposed too i guess.

One thing I can't do is remote into the modem as it's bridged but I guess there's a way somehow.

If anyone wishes to shed any more light on the matter feel free.

thx for listening....