Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default Testing TCP Connectivity ... FAILED

    I came into work last Saturday to hopefully get UT up and running but no such luck.
    I setup UT in bridge mode and I'm not sure about the Static / DHCP Settings.

    Wen testing I keep getting
    Testing DNS ... Passed
    Testing TCP Connectivity ... FAILED

    and as a result no internet from any PC.

    Here are the combination's that I tried.
    1. (T1 connection)==>(NetGear Switch)==>(Firewall)==>(UT Server)==>(Network Switch)

    2. (T1 connection)==>(UT Server)==>(NetGear Switch)==>(Firewall)==>(Network Switch)

    3. (T1 connection)==>(UT Server)==>(Network Switch)

    The PC is a Dell 745 Core 2 Duo with 2GB Ram, 80GB HD.
    Built in NIC is the External
    Extra NIC is an Intel with Dual Ports Port1: Internal Port2: DMZ

    I can connect the Built in Nic (External) to my Network Switch like this (T1 connection)==>(NetGear Switch)==>(Firewall)==>(Network Switch)==>(UT Server) and it picks up an IP from our DHCP Server and was able to download the packages, but thats not going to do the trick.

    Where am I going wrong here?

    And the problem is, I can test this during the week in a live environment.

    PS: The netgear switch is to bridge a second firewall as a backup I didnt show that for simplicity.

  2. #2
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Another thing I dont understand if its in Bridge Mode do I need to assign an IP address? and what would that ip address be?

  3. #3
    Untangle Ninja gotkimchi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    2,106

    Default

    Just do this.
    Put back your network previous to the Untangle solution.
    WAN-Router-Switch.
    Off one of your empty switch ports, connect the Untangle external interface. You can do dynamic or static. If it is dynamic, it will try to grab an address from the DHCP server. If you set it to static, you will need to type the info yourself.
    The internal interface needs to be set to bridge to external. Connect that interface to a laptop or a single PC. This way, only that PC will go through the Untangle and no one else.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

  4. #4
    Untangle Ninja Solignis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hudson, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    I am running a very similar setup to what you are running, I will see if I can help ya.

    For starters what is the local network subnet? I am assuming 192.168.0.0/24.

    When you put the Untangle and the firewall together did you use a CROSSOVER cable between the two devices. As I learned in Cisco class, like devices use crossover. Untangle may be a PC but it behaves like a router which mean you can't use a straight through if it is going into another routing device.

    When you plug it directly into the T1 line I assumes it is in routing mode. Did you assign the ext interface with a public IP or a local IP? It has to be a public. At least in my case. Once again check to be sure you are using the correct cables in the right place. See if this help at all.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

  5. #5
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gotkimchi View Post
    The internal interface needs to be set to bridge to external. Connect that interface to a laptop or a single PC. This way, only that PC will go through the Untangle and no one else.
    I actually need 50 PC's to be monitored by Untangle

  6. #6
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    For starters what is the local network subnet? I am assuming 192.168.0.0/24.
    It starts with 149 but is a /24 subnet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    When you put the Untangle and the firewall together did you use a CROSSOVER cable between the two devices. As I learned in Cisco class, like devices use crossover. Untangle may be a PC but it behaves like a router which mean you can't use a straight through if it is going into another routing device.
    All Firewalls/Switches are using straight through cable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    When you plug it directly into the T1 line I assumes it is in routing mode. Did you assign the ext interface with a public IP or a local IP? It has to be a public. At least in my case. Once again check to be sure you are using the correct cables in the right place. See if this help at all.
    [/QUOTE]

    That could be my problem. how do I assign it a Public Address? How do I figure that out?

  7. #7
    Untangle Ninja Solignis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hudson, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    I don't know about you case, but in ours we have the T1 line going into a T1 router which is configured to the 14 addresses that we got from the phone company. Then Untangle plugs into there. All you would do is take the public address that was configured on the old router and copy the settings to the External interface of Untangle. Other than that there should not be much to it.

    With this help I am also assuming you are running in router mode not bridge mode.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

  8. #8
    Untangle Ninja
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analog-X64 View Post
    I actually need 50 PC's to be monitored by Untangle
    He was trying to help you out.

    You posted of connectivity issues.

    He was directing you to set up the UT as a standalone that you could work out your issues with setup, without disrupting the network.

    Then you can put the UT into your network where you want it.

  9. #9
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fasttech View Post
    He was trying to help you out.

    You posted of connectivity issues.

    He was directing you to set up the UT as a standalone that you could work out your issues with setup, without disrupting the network.

    Then you can put the UT into your network where you want it.
    I misunderstood the post. As you can tell I'm a bit weak when it comes to networking.

  10. #10
    Untangler
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gotkimchi View Post
    Just do this.
    Put back your network previous to the Untangle solution.
    WAN-Router-Switch.
    Off one of your empty switch ports, connect the Untangle external interface. You can do dynamic or static. If it is dynamic, it will try to grab an address from the DHCP server. If you set it to static, you will need to type the info yourself.
    The internal interface needs to be set to bridge to external. Connect that interface to a laptop or a single PC. This way, only that PC will go through the Untangle and no one else.
    I followed the instructions and hooked up a laptop and I can surf the net and looking at the Webfilter app looks like it is monitoring traffic, I guess I'll have to wait over night to see the report.

    So now that we know the untangle server is working, how do I get it to work with the actual system

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2