Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by dbunyard View Post
    Untangle is in whatever mode you chose when you went through the setup wizard. I cannot recall off the top of my head of DHCP works with UT in bridged mode but I thought that it did.

If you want Untangle to control your entire network it should be the gateway device plain and simple. If you want it to just inspect/filter traffic then you can have it bridged.
    I am pretty sure I would have selected Router mode but I have reinstalled Untangle a number of times (due to me experimenting).

I do want Untangle to be the gateway device. The only reason there is another router in front of it is because I can't really change that.

I guess I will give a go rerunning that wizard. Thanks for the help, I will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by ascorbic View Post
    I am pretty sure I would have selected Router mode but I have reinstalled Untangle a number of times (due to me experimenting).

I do want Untangle to be the gateway device. The only reason there is another router in front of it is because I can't really change that.

I guess I will give a go rerunning that wizard. Thanks for the help, I will report back.
    If you ultimately want it to be the gateway device then set it up in router mode and let the WAN side DHCP an address. Make sure you turn on the DHCP server within Untangle and let it hand out addresses on the LAN side. This will create a double NAT but will let you test and get things working how you want before you replace your gateway with Untangle. Make sure that the LAN ip scheme you choose for Untangle is NOT the same scheme that your router is currently handing out or this will not work.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Untanglit

If you ultimately want it to be the gateway device then set it up in router mode and let the WAN side DHCP an address. Make sure you turn on the DHCP server within Untangle and let it hand out addresses on the LAN side. This will create a double NAT but will let you test and get things working how you want before you replace your gateway with Untangle. Make sure that the LAN ip scheme you choose for Untangle is NOT the same scheme that your router is currently handing out or this will not work.
    Just to confirm, the wizard is the only way to set Untangle up in router mode?

Untangle will be given an address in the 192.168.1.0 range and conveniently enough Untangle's DHCP server was configured to hand out addresses in the 192.168.2.0 range

Just to confirm, the wizard is the only way to set Untangle up in router mode?

Untangle will be given an address in the 192.168.1.0 range and conveniently enough Untangle's DHCP server was configured to hand out addresses in the 192.168.2.0 range
    No, you can simply change the internal interface from "Bridge" to "Static" though I have in the past heard that people have had problems doing it this way. I have never done it so I cannot say one way or the other.

Untangle's LAN address has to be in the same subnet as the IP addresses DHCP is handing out. Since Untangle will be the gateway the other devices have to be able to talk with it.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Untanglit

No, you can simply change the internal interface from "Bridge" to "Static" though I have in the past heard that people have had problems doing it this way. I have never done it so I cannot say one way or the other.

Untangle's LAN address has to be in the same subnet as the IP addresses DHCP is handing out. Since Untangle will be the gateway the other devices have to be able to talk with it.
    So it looks like I might be using the wrong wizard, under networking I clicked on the advanced tab and then clicked the run wizard button (which specifies it resets settings). It went through a few steps where it did a little welcome screen, a detection one to pick up the nics, asked weather eth0 should be dynamic or static, then eth12345 just could choose static or bridge.

It seems like it shouldn't be this hard to configure Untangle as a gateway, I feel like I am missing something really obvious.

So it looks like I might be using the wrong wizard, under networking I clicked on the advanced tab and then clicked the run wizard button (which specifies it resets settings). It went through a few steps where it did a little welcome screen, a detection one to pick up the nics, asked weather eth0 should be dynamic or static, then eth12345 just could choose static or bridge.

It seems like it shouldn't be this hard to configure Untangle as a gateway, I feel like I am missing something really obvious.
    Setting eth1 to static is router mode as the interfaces are not bridged at that point. You don't even have to run the wizard, you should just be able to, in the interfaces, change eth1 (LAN) from bridged to static, give it an IP address, and go from there.
    Dan

Untanglit

Lightbulb

Ahh that is very helpful, I did not realize. However I still can't get an IP from Untangle.
    Here are all my settings:

Interfaces:
    eth0:
    Connection Type: Dynamic
    Wan: Checked
    Everything else default

eth1:
    Connection Type: Static
    Wan: Not Checked
    Primary IP Address and Netmask: 192.168.2.100/32 (also tried 192.168.2.101)
    Everything else default

DHCP:
    Enabled: Checked
    Start: 192.168.2.101
    End: 192.168.2.200
    Lease Duration: 14400
    (seconds)
    Gateway: 192.168.2.100
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Lease Limit: 500
    Authoritative: Checked

I noticed some odd settings under Advanced Filter Rules so here is what I changed them to.

On Allow DHCP Requests from the internal interface.
    On Allow DHCP Requests from the DMZ interface..
    Off Block all DHCP Requests to the local DHCP Server.
    On Prefer Local DHCP Traffic from non-internal interfaces.
    On Accept DHCP traffic to the local DHCP client.
    On Accept DNS traffic from the Internal and VPN interfaces to the local DNS Server.
    On Accept DNS traffic to the local DNS Server from all interfaces.
    On Accept SNMP traffic from the Internal interface.
    Off Accept SNMP traffic from all interfaces.
    On Block OpenVPN traffic from the internal interface.
    On Accept OpenVPN traffic from all interfaces.
    On Accept SSH traffic from all interfaces.
    On Allow Ping on all interfaces.
    Off Block all local traffic.
    On Accept incoming VPN traffic when running as a VPN client.
    Off Route VPN traffic that would go through the Bridge.

Since I have a static address on eth1, does that mean my client should be configured as a static? I'd like all client machines to get dynamic address, even if they are plugged directly into Untangle and not a switch.

By the way, eth1 (where the client is connected to) shows as "up" in esx-
    Last edited by ascorbic; 06-04-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Untanglit

Ahh I just caught it, My CIDR should have been 24, not 32. Now I just have to figure out how to get traffic routing.

Ahh I just caught it, My CIDR should have been 24, not 32. Now I just have to figure out how to get traffic routing.
    Are you still having trouble with something?
    Dan

Untanglit

Are you still having trouble with something?

Yeah, I am able to get an IP as well as ping the gateway, however the gateway is as far as I can get, I can't ping anything on the internet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast