Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default Tangled up with DHCP

    Hi, I am brand new to untangle so please, be gentle.

    I have a VMWare ESXi machine running a few clients one of which is Untangle. In this machine I have a few nics. I am dedicating six nics to untangle (one intel pro 1000 pt quad and one intel pro 1000 pt dual). There are other nics for the other VMs on the machine but that is besides the point.

    I have configued ESXi to have a vSwitch for every nic I am assgning in Untangle. So I created a vSwitch, called it Untangle1 and added one nic to it. I repeated this upto Untangle6. Then I went into Untangle's VM settings and added each nic as type Flexible (if I should use e1000 or one of the others please let me know, I just used this setting because it was the default).

    I opened up Untangle's management interface with Iceweasel and refreshed my network interfaces. Untangle found all six devices. It has labeled eth0 as External, eth1 as Internal, eth2 as DMZ and eth3,4,5,6 as eth3,4,5,6. I hooked eth0 up to the wan and Untangle got a DHCP address and tested for connectivity which was a success.

    First, I want eth5,6 to be DMZs, where is this setting?

    I enabled Untangle as a DHCP server and I bridged eth1-6 to eth0. I tried plugging a machine into each of those nics but the machine wasn't able to get an ip address. What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Untangle Ninja dbunyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Westerville, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    I believe I can answer a couple of those questions at least.

    The names are internal to Untangle and (unless I'm mistaken) cannot be changed. You can make those NICs anything you want them to be, they will just say eth5 and eth6.

    As for the DHCP, so you have promiscuous mode enabled on all the vSwitchs Untangle uses? You should also be using E1000 for the adapter type. I have heard that other ones work but E1000 has been working very well for me.

    Oh, and welcome to the forums!!!
    Dan

    You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

  3. #3
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbunyard View Post
    I believe I can answer a couple of those questions at least.

    The names are internal to Untangle and (unless I'm mistaken) cannot be changed. You can make those NICs anything you want them to be, they will just say eth5 and eth6.

    As for the DHCP, so you have promiscuous mode enabled on all the vSwitchs Untangle uses? You should also be using E1000 for the adapter type. I have heard that other ones work but E1000 has been working very well for me.

    Oh, and welcome to the forums!!!
    Thanks for the reply. I will switch my adapter types to e1000. I do have promiscuous mode enabled inside of the ESXi configuration for all of these nics.

  4. #4
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I changed my network adapters in ESXi to be of type e1000. As soon as I did this my client machine starting picking up an IP address, however, this was the IP address from the router that Untangle is connected to. I want Untangle to hand out addresses. As stated above, I have enabled Untangle's DHCP server and it should had addresses out on the 192.168.2.0 subnet which is different from the router's subnet that Untangle is connected to.

    What am I missing? Do I need all my interfaces to be bridged?

  5. #5
    Untangle Ninja dbunyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Westerville, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascorbic View Post
    I changed my network adapters in ESXi to be of type e1000. As soon as I did this my client machine starting picking up an IP address, however, this was the IP address from the router that Untangle is connected to. I want Untangle to hand out addresses. As stated above, I have enabled Untangle's DHCP server and it should had addresses out on the 192.168.2.0 subnet which is different from the router's subnet that Untangle is connected to.

    What am I missing? Do I need all my interfaces to be bridged?
    As for the bridging, I would probably forget about all but two interfaces until you get things working the way that you want. Let's just concentrate on the WAN port and the LAN which is bridged to the WAN. So if I'm understanding you setup is something like this:

    |Internet|<==>|Router/Gateway|<==>|Untangle bridged|<==>|Internal Network|

    Is that correct?

    It's quite likely the the first DHCP server the client saw was simply the router. If you turn DHCP off on the router do the clients get their IP addresses from Untangle? Is there a reason you want to use Untangle for the DHCP server?
    Dan

    You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

  6. #6
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbunyard View Post
    |Internet|<==>|Router/Gateway|<==>|Untangle bridged|<==>|Internal Network|
    That is correct and Untangle does seem to be acting like a bridge to the Router/Gateway (I do not want this behavior). For management purposes I want untangle to handle as much of the network as possible. I basically want everything to the left of Untangle in the diagram above to be more or less a black box, all I get is an ethernet cord which provides an outbound connection.

  7. #7
    Untanglit americancaesar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    21

    Default maybe i'm missing something...

    ... but I don't think you can have the Untangle server do what you are asking of it in bridged mode.

    http://www.untangle.com/Deployment-Options

  8. #8
    Untangle Ninja dbunyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Westerville, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascorbic View Post
    That is correct and Untangle does seem to be acting like a bridge to the Router/Gateway (I do not want this behavior). For management purposes I want untangle to handle as much of the network as possible. I basically want everything to the left of Untangle in the diagram above to be more or less a black box, all I get is an ethernet cord which provides an outbound connection.
    So you don't want Untangle to be bridged to the router/gateway? You can configure Untangle into router mode and this will give you the "black box" you are after for the left-hand side of that drawing.

    I'm thinking that maybe if you lay out exactly what you are trying to accomplish we can better help with this setup.

    What are you using for the router/gateway of the network?
    Dan

    You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

  9. #9
    Untanglit
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbunyard View Post
    So you don't want Untangle to be bridged to the router/gateway? You can configure Untangle into router mode and this will give you the "black box" you are after for the left-hand side of that drawing.
    Does this mean Untangle is in bridged mode by default? How do I enable router mode?

    I don't have a clearly defined goal at this point, I just have ideas about how I would like my network setup. I am trying to learn how to configure Untangle and what options are supported. But basically in the end I want Untangle to control my entire home network. I am going to have a wired lan and a wireless lan and a DMZ. I will want each lan segmented. But I'd like to just take one step at a time and get DHCP working first.

  10. #10
    Untangle Ninja dbunyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Westerville, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascorbic View Post
    Does this mean Untangle is in bridged mode by default? How do I enable router mode?

    I don't have a clearly defined goal at this point, I just have ideas about how I would like my network setup. I am trying to learn how to configure Untangle and what options are supported. But basically in the end I want Untangle to control my entire home network. I am going to have a wired lan and a wireless lan and a DMZ. I will want each lan segmented. But I'd like to just take one step at a time and get DHCP working first.
    Untangle is in whatever mode you chose when you went through the setup wizard. I cannot recall off the top of my head of DHCP works with UT in bridged mode but I thought that it did.

    If you want Untangle to control your entire network it should be the gateway device plain and simple. If you want it to just inspect/filter traffic then you can have it bridged.
    Dan

    You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2