Thread: DNS Problem

JWH

Default DNS Problem

I am running UT 7.3.1 in router mode. I have a worthless ISP which uses PPPoE with dynamic IPs. I have DynDns setup. In UT box Config - Network - Hostname I have Hostname: something.homeip.net, Suffix: homeip.net, DynDns checked, user and password set, Hostname: something.homeip.net,
    On Config - Administration - Public adress I have checked use hostname and it says current hostname is something.homeip.net. I can reach my UT box from inside and outside the net by ip address and by something.homeip.net. All users inside the net can reach the internet and everything works fine. My problem is from the UT console I cant get to the net from the browser, and I can't download and install addon packages from the app store nor can I upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JWH

Also when in terminal I run hostname --fqdn it returns something. Shouldn't it be something.homeip.net?

JWH

Am I missing something?

I don't have any experience with the PPPoE features. I just know that they are often the cause of issues. You're better off doing the PPPoE in the DSL router.

I highly doubt your dyndns stuff has anything to do with a general DNS failure. The issues you're describing tells me you have an external interface that isn't configured completely.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Check the /var/log/uvm/apt.log using the Untangle terminal. It should list why you can't install apps.

JWH

If I can reach my network from the World Wide Web am I having a DNS falure?

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    If I can reach my network from the World Wide Web am I having a DNS falure?
    the two are independent.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

JWH

Thank you for clarifing that Dmorris, I did not realise that. I have checked the log and found alot of error401 authorization required while trying to download adblocker. Also it appears as though many files have downloaded from my last apt-get update, but a few failed to download. Is there a way to download just the ones missing? (apt-get update --fix-missing) Is that correct?