Untangler

Default Untangle Server not Found.

Time to time we notice Untangle Server not found messages while browsing a site etc..

I monitor the untangle server all the time and the cpu load on average hovers around 0.02-0.15 and the most I've ever seen it go up is 0.35

The Machine is Core 2 Duo with 2GB of ram. We have about 30 users, but maybe 15-20 at the most in the office.

Memory is
    F: 1270.96 MBs
    U: 844.68 MBs

Running
    Build: 7.4.1
    Java: 1.6.0_12

Any ideas / suggestions on what could be going on?

Can you be more explicit in the problem? or paste here a screenshot.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    Can you be more explicit in the problem? or paste here a screenshot.
    I will grab a screen cap next time it happens.

Default Same problem

I have the same problem explain above.
    I my case appears the same message when the web-filter block some site, but the message is that:

Untangle Server

Not Found

Quote Originally Posted by Analog-X64 View Post
    I will grab a screen cap next time it happens.

I have the same problem. Using a PC that's completely unblocked, and from time to time, with random websites, I'll get this message. Sometimes if I log into untangle in a separate window I can access the website. Other times no matter what I do, I'm unable to access the website.

Not sure how to upload a screenshot here. However there is not much to see on that screen. It's a blank white page with the following:
    <untangle logo image>
    Untangle Server

Not Found

That's it.
    An example website I'm having trouble with right now is
    cpanel.hungerhost.com/login/

A few minutes later... I'm now able to access that site. Did absolutely nothing to untangle. This is part of the problem. Random websites get blocked at random times for no apparent reason, then start working again. Sometimes multiple refresh attempts will do it. Sometimes just waiting a few minutes will do it. Weird.

Similar problem - if I try to go to google.com, I get this URL in the address bar:
    google. com /setup /welcome.do
    (spaces added since forum won't let me post a link)
    Of course that's not a valid url, so google gives me a 404 error.
    Refreshing a few times corrects the problem.

Can be a undersized untangle, a bad nic o generic hardware failure, a dns issue, or, why not, a isp or cpe problem.
    The random failures are not easy to resolve, you must have your debugging tools ready waiting to the problem.
    One more thing:same symptoms not need to be equal to same problem, each network is different.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

The pc is a relatively new 2.4ghz pentium machine with 500gb hdd, 2mb ram, and a total of 4 users.

I suppose anything is possible as a reason until the actual reason is determined, but do the URLs/error messages provide a clue?

/setup/welcome.do is getting appended to the desired URL - clearly that's being done by untangle. Why would that happen? How would hardware/dns/isp/cpe issues make untangle append something like that to a URL entered in the address bar?

For the first problem reported, why would one get 'untangle server / not found'? If the website is actually not found or down, one would get a 404 error. Under what scenarios does untangle respond with such a message?

What debugging tools would you recommend?

The Untangle server / not found, error is the custom 404 error page the local web server in Untangle has. You get that when the browser for some reason makes the web requests against Untangle's web server. The other error is very similar...

If the Untangle is overloaded the UVM doesn't always finish dealing with the TCP session properly as it passes the web filter. This issue is the result. ( my assumption, I don't really have proof of this, it's just what seems to make sense )

Make sure Attack Blocker is installed, any workstations with reputations over 100 need fixed. Beyond that, detailed hardware specs are required.

BTW random displays of this is the reason I abandoned all software interfaces in favor of hardware ones...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com