zac
    Untangler

Default Untangle with SBS 2003 Suggestions

First question: Being my server is an SBS 2003, how does the QT work? Does it store it based on IP address or email address?

Second question: Something I've never understood is how this is working without an IP address assigned to it. My router is 192.168.1.1 and my server is 192.168.1.2.
    Installing Untangle after the router (before all the switches/servers/clients), does any of my router's config need to change?
    Or is there only an IP address set on the INTERNAL LAN NIC (The External NIC is transparent to the router- no reconfig needed)???

Fourth question: More of an interest question, does it cache email if my server ever goes down?

Thanks!

First question: Being my server is an SBS 2003, how does the QT work? Does it store it based on IP address or email address?
    Email address.
    Second question: Something I've never understood is how this is working without an IP address assigned to it. My router is 192.168.1.1 and my server is 192.168.1.2.
    Installing Untangle after the router (before all the switches/servers/clients), does any of my router's config need to change?
    Or is there only an IP address set on the INTERNAL LAN NIC (The External NIC is transparent to the router- no reconfig needed)???
    If you are running in bridge mode then you will assign the bridge an address in Config > Networking and then External Address. Correct, no other configuration needed as far as routing is concerned. Unless you have multiple internal subnets.

Fourth question: More of an interest question, does it cache email if my server ever goes down?
    It does not. Once it scans the mail for harmful content, it passes it on to it's destination as long as it is clean or not spam.

zac
    Untangler

Sounds great- thinking I will give this a shot!

zac
    Untangler

Another question I had...

How does this effect internet speed running everything through a computer like this?

mdh

Negligible unless Attack Blocker is limiting traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by zac View Post
    Another question I had...

How does this effect internet speed running everything through a computer like this?
    It depends on the amount of data you are moving every day... in our case, JAVA started getting crazy and we had to upgrade the CPU of the Untangle box.
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado
    --------------------------------