Default By Pass Rule for Remote Dekstop Priority.

Hi,

I have an Untangle Setup comprising of One Server and two client servers. I see a lot of new features in Untangle 8.0 like Bandwidth Control Manager etc and wish to test for purchasing the same.

In the current setup, i have enabled bypass rules for all if source interface is VPN (The screen shot is attached). The same setup is done in my client servers also. With the bypass enabled i did prioritization for Remote dekstop in the rules list of Bandwidth manager, i could see the prioritization logs in client side - initializing connection to the main site but in the main site no logs are seen.

Can you please guide whether i should remove the bypass VPN source interface and try Remote Desktop prioritization. By doing this will there by any site to site connection issue.

Kindly guide me.

Thanks

Binu Manickkam.

Bypass is just that, it bypasses everything, UT doesnt check or even log i believe anything in a bypass rule.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Pretty much, as far as I can tell there is the base system of UT which runs the OS, iptables, and routing functions. Then there is a java based virtual machine sitting on top of the base system which runs all the modules and processes the data.

A bypass rule makes traffic bypass those virtual machines. Portforwarders still take affect because those are defined in IPtables in the base system.

I am sure I have stated several things incorrectly but thats a rough idea of what is going on with a bypass rule.
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

The above posts are correct.
    If its bypassed, Bandwidth Control won't even see it. (You can still prioritize it using QoS though)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Yes that is correct in bypass the UVM is bypassed so nothing goes into or out of the rack ( modules ). However you do still see it in the sessionís screen it will show you the priority level of it whether you set it too high,very high, low etc.

I bypass some game ports as well as uttorent, and vpn traffic so I can set the uttorent to low, game ports to high and VPN to very high. All other traffic seems to be set to medium default QOS priority unless you create a custom rule in QOS. The untangle router had 5500 simultaneous sessions running though the router at one time and no problems to report. I think the new 8.0 untangle product is awesome compared to the 7.4.x product.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Initially when i did the untangle setup, connection between site to main office was not happening correctly. When i added a bypass rule for all VPN traffic it got connected.

Now, i have removed that bypass rule of VPN added earlier in all sites and applied all. The rules set by me in the Bandwidth manager is working correctly now and I can see the prioritize logs of site Remote desktop connections alloted with very high priority. Till not i didnt get site-main office VPN connection failure.

Thanks to all of you once again.

Binu Manickkam.