Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Here is the WAN configuration in the routers GUI. I have changed it to a static address of 192.168.1.20 ....

Last edited by Theoutdoorsman; 03-05-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Untangler

Here is the GUI output for the operating mode of the router.

Untangler

Default Subnetting Question ....

I have an Untangle Server, a switch, and two routers. With the routers, I need to create two indipendent networks. Neither, of which, should be aware of the others' presence, and are unable to communicate with one another. I want the Untagle Server to monitor traffic for both networks. I know this is possible! Exactly, how do you configure the network though? Exactly what step need to be taken?

make sure the netmask on the internal interface is 255.255.0.0 (/16) not /24

Also if they are true routers then you will need to add a route telling untangle that the 192.168.2.* network is behind 192.168.2.1 and that the 192.168.3.* network is behind 192.168.3.1

note that these networks arent actually separate, only logically separate.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    make sure the netmask on the internal interface is 255.255.0.0 (/16) not /24

Also if they are true routers then you will need to add a route telling untangle that the 192.168.2.* network is behind 192.168.2.1 and that the 192.168.3.* network is behind 192.168.3.1

note that these networks arent actually separate, only logically separate.

So, the IP address of Untangle's internal (LAN) interface should be 192.168.1.1 with netmask of 255.255.0.0 ....... correct?

The routers in question are Asus RT-N16's.

I understand that they are logically seperated, but can they comunicate with one another still? I do not want any means of communication between the two.

Where/How do I add the routes to tell Untangle that 192.168.2.* hosts are behind the 192.168.2.1 router? To keep things simple let's stop with the 192.168.2.1 router for now. I am confused enough without further complications. The other router can wait. I am trying to better understand what is taking place with these recomendations. Thank you very much for the information. Please keep it coming!
    Last edited by Theoutdoorsman; 03-05-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Untangler

I am assuming I need to define a route within the Untangle server next? I just don't know where/how to define the route. Can you assist further please?

Master Untangler

How many users are you supporting? You don't even need routers to do this unless you're trying to eliminate the broadcast traffic.

You can do this without routers... just add an alias to the internal adapter and use the firewall app to stop communication between subnets.

Master Untangler

This should be a pretty straight forward setup - I am sure that is what you were thinking too.

Let's do some basic troubleshooting to see if we can find the source of the problem.

Can you ping the UT LAN (192.168.1.1) from a computer at 192.168.2.x?

Can you ping an Internet address like 8.8.8.8 from a computer on 192.168.2.x?

Does Untangle have Internet access from the console?

Is DNS enabled on the UT server?

Quote Originally Posted by Theoutdoorsman View Post
    I am assuming I need to define a route within the Untangle server next? I just don't know where/how to define the route. Can you assist further please?
    Yes, the untangle needs a static route destination 192.168.2.0/24 next hop 192.168.1.20, the downstream router doesnt need a static route at all unless you want the two routers subets to speak directly. The default gateway is enough.

If you left your NAT policy alone, this should just work, otherwise you'll need to enter a NAT policy rule for 192.168.2.0/24 as well.

M.
    Last edited by mrunkel; 03-06-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Sweet Jesus, this drives me crazy. Don't double post.

Yes, they will still be able to communicate, routing doesn't stop that, it enables it.

If you want them to not talk, you will need a packet filter rule at the untangle.

I'm merging these two threads.
    Last edited by mrunkel; 03-06-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast