Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 Untangle Boxes Same Network?

I have a quad core, 4GB, 2 intel NICS, untangle box that will be placed between my Cisco ASA and the incoming feed (internet). I want to use this to control the vast majority of what is allowed in and out and website filtering. I also have a lab that will be available to the public to use where I wish to use an additional untangle box (dual core, 2GB) to further restrict web access and the like. I plan on placing it between the patch panel and the switch that supplies all the connections to that lab.

Is there anything I should be aware of in trying to use this configuration? I assume it is okay to have two untangle boxes on the same network/subnet with one further down the tree than the other. Is this assumption right?

Thanks for your time and help in this.

Why not add a 3 nic in untangle and configure to the public network?
    Or if public is in the same subnet, can use the policy manager app to manage them.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

I will be using the Lite package which I don't think allows me to use the policy editor.

I also only have 2 PCI slots in my quad core box and don't want to spend anymore funds on it.

Plus, I already have another box with Untangle on it.

Will this setup not work?

Yes, can work, I think in the power waste only.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Note that you can buy policy manager all by itself, and depending on your user count the power use of a 2nd box is could cost be a lot more than the cost of buying policy manager.

I might call up untangle sales and see if they're willing to work with you: I'd guess that if you count users based on the size of your entire organization then running a 2nd box is cheaper, but if you price your license based only on the size of the lab, policy manager is cheaper. I suspect untangle would rather take that smaller amount of money than none at all, and that works out better for everyone. Of course, the untangle licensing isn't currently enforced and so you could just do it this way anyway, but I for one would rather have an explicit blessing first.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 03-15-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

You can purchase a used dual port or quad port Intel NIC for about the price of lunch (or two) and just use that. It works great. I have a customer using his quad nic for load balancing his Comcast and T-1 lines and uses one of the remaining for the internal network.

Thanks guys for the response. What do you mean by "power waste"?

As for their licensing, ethically and morally I would have to stick to their terms or just not use it.

Thanks for the tip on talking with them about policy manager.

I want to be clear here, what I'm really asking is, am I asking for trouble by running another untangle box downstream in addition to the one that is between the internal and external network? Has anyone done this? If yes, has there been any problems? If no, is it a bad idea to do so?

Thanks guys.

no there will be no problems.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

What we mean by "power waste" is that electricity is not free. Cost of the hardware aside, there's a good chance you will spend more money on just the electricity to power your 2nd box than policy manager would cost you. If you amortize the hardware costs of your 2nd box over it's expected life and charge it against that option it pushes you even closer to using policy manager.

And I have no expectations for whether sales is willing to be flexible on pricing -- it just doesn't hurt to ask.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast