Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DHCP Range

That makes no sense, DHCP works via broadcast. Why would you have two servers serving the same information?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Not sure why they want this but here is why I would like to have sometrhing like this. My 2008 sbs server is the dhcp server. If the power is down long enough to run the battery backup out the 2008 server takes longer to boot and give out the dhcp address than most other devices on the network. Windows will usually be ok with this and get an ip eventually. Other devices like printers and ip phones would need to reboot to get an address. So you can't get to the internet until the 2008 server gives you a ip etc even though untangle is ready. And sometimes you need to reboot windows to get an address also. It is easier to tell them to reboot than try to tell them to go and renew the lease.

So in a perfect world Untangle would boot the dhcp very quickly and then finish it's boot process. After the 2008 server is up untangle would tell 2008 what ip's it gave out and windows server would be happy. I am sure it would be a nightmare to set this up and it is beyond my skills to help with it.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That makes no sense, DHCP works via broadcast. Why would you have two servers serving the same information?
    Redundancy/balancing..you can do some fun things with multiple DHCP services across the same active directory. Assuming it's a large active directory and that's been setup. Not enough facts in prior persons post.

Windows Server DHCP service should turn itself off as the server boots up..IF it detects another DHCP service on the network (such as the basic crummy one on your router).

Quote Originally Posted by DrTech View Post
    Thank you guys, this helps me. I have the same setup.
    i would like to use the untangle dhcp rather than the 2003. i am having problem recreating the static entries on the untangle using the "dhcp & dns" entries. I read teh man oages for dnsmasq and it seems that untangle works a little differently. I do I add my static entries on multiple subnets?
    Why? When you have active directory, you want your domain controller (or one of them) to run DHCP...it keeps client updates/registration in DNS much tighter as they boot up/login/renew. Let the server do its job properly.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Why? When you have active directory, you want your domain controller (or one of them) to run DHCP...it keeps client updates/registration in DNS much tighter as they boot up/login/renew. Let the server do its job properly.
    Why?
    My main problem is "I" (it may be ignorance of the innards of 2K3) can't get windows to ignore rogue stations. I need to control the dhcp offers when people plug into a dumb switch, or add one. Some parts of the network do not have smart switches and we are not planning on buying them.
    I like the ability to both "ignore" unauthorized stations, and, issue the same IP to multiple MACs that dnsmasq offers (don't know how to do that in windows).

I setup reservation for all our PCs and installed a microsoft solution for MAC management (MacFilterCallout) that causes dhcp to ignore any computer not in a MAC list txt file, but it's still not as flexible and as easy to manage as the single flat file of dnsmasq.
    Last edited by DrTech; 05-29-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12