Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DHCP Range

Default DHCP Range

I notice that Untangle starts the ip range at .16 and goes to .99. Why doesn't it default to .1 to .254? Is it allowing room for static IP's in the low and high range?

Also, this is only the second time I have used untangle to act as my main firewall instead of my ASA or PIX units. With my setup, I allow Server 2003 to assign IP addresses for my internal network and reserve some addresses for things that need a consistent IP. I assume that the untangle box is allowing the outside to communicate with the inside and visa versa by masking the IP's. If this is correct, and I have Server 2003 handling internal IP assignment- what is the DHCP function of Untangle for in my scenario? Should I be using it?

Currently I have it on with its default range. The other I expanded from .10 to .254 and both are running fine without issue thus far (one was done two weeks ago and the other I just finished).

Any pointers on this would be most appreciated. Thanks again for being such a helpful community.

j razz

If you have a 2003 server handling DHCP you can just disable DHCP on untangle.

You can set the range to whatever you want. I think the default is 100-200.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

If I leave it on, will it conflict or just be subservient to Server 2003?

Thanks for the quick response by the way.

Possibly. I would not run two DHCP servers on the same network.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

You never want two DHCP servers on the same broadcast domain. It will give you grey hair.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks again guys. Have a great day.

j razz

Untanglit

Thank you guys, this helps me. I have the same setup.
    i would like to use the untangle dhcp rather than the 2003. i am having problem recreating the static entries on the untangle using the "dhcp & dns" entries. I read teh man oages for dnsmasq and it seems that untangle works a little differently. I do I add my static entries on multiple subnets?

Using multiple DHCP-servers on the same broadcast domain is something I've done before (in my previous job).
    I had 2 DHCP servers, serving the same scope.
    The only difference was with the excluded ranges.
    E.g. DHCP1 excluded like .1-.100, .101-.150, .201-254 while DHCP2 excluded like .1-100, .151-.200, .201-.254 (exclude-ranges setup to use reservations for servers and printers).
    All worked like a charm.
    So you can keep DHCP enabled on the Untangle. The clients take their IP-address from the first DHCP-server that responds.

Untanglit

I'm trying not to leave it to chance.
    If i do exclusions, I still have no way of controlling which server the pc will be getting its address from since it is obtained by broadcast. Also, I need them to obtain the same IPs every time.
    Out of curiosity (never hurts to know more), what DHCP servers did you use to make this work, and how did you set them up?

I used windows 2000 DC's, two of them handling the DHCP's.
    Made the same reservations on both servers, so the devices with a reservation got the same address every time.
    That was an error I made the first time: I only set up the reservations on one server; but you really need to do it on both!

If it goes for common clients: If you want to make those machines get the same address every time, you really should use static addresses, not DHCP Or make reservations for every single client.
    Even when using one DHCP-server, it might happen the clients will get a different address every now and than. That depends on the lease-time, the number of clients and available addresses etc.

The set-up of the DHCP-servers was quite plain:
    Make the same scope on both servers (with the same server-options, scope-options, reservations etc).
    Divide the scope in blocks (e.g. block 1 for servers, block 2 for printers, block 3 for other servers, block 4 for clients, block 5 for clients, block 6 for future use).
    On server A, exclude blocks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6.
    On server B, exclude blocks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6.
    That way server A will serve addresses from block 4, while server B will serve addresses from block 5.
    Since you've made the reservations in blocks 1, 2, 3 on both servers, the clients which get those reservations don't care which server serves their request: They always get the same address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast