Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Untangle Not Playing Well With Logmein Services

We utilize logmein.com for remote access. After installing the untangle box inline- behind our firewall in one of our offices, it kicks users off remotely every so many minutes.

This is the setup:
    inet-->Cisco Pix-->Untangle-->Cisco ASA-->LAN

Everything worked fine before the introduction of the untangle box. Internet works fine- the only issue I am having is with logmein staying connected. If I take out Untangle, all is well again.

It affects those attempting to remote in and those remoting out.

The modules I have on are:
    Phish Blocker
    Spyware Blocker
    Web Filter Lite
    Virus Blocker
    Reports

Are you using a static IP with UT or DHCP?

It is a static IP that is coming through our provider. Of course, inside the network the server 2003 box is doing DHCP on the local network but the PIX is acting as the firewall.

Untangler

I have no idea how to solve your issue but I can tell you that we have run logmein on servers behind an Untangle box for over a year without incident. So at the very least this should be a config issue.

Untanglit

Also worked well with my last 2 installations (though not on v.8), same bridged setup. However, I have no ASA there. Setup is

Internet => Cisco Router => Untangle => LAN
    Last edited by BURUGUDUYSTUNSTUGUDUNSTUY; 05-19-2011 at 01:48 AM.

I am going to chime in with an other "no problem here" comment. I have been using LogmeIn for as long as I have had Untangle installed. I started on V5, I am now on V8. I also think that you have a config issue.

One suggestion: in the web filter lite, try unticking the "Uncategorized" category. This is about the only thing I can imagine with the modules you listed, that could cause the problem. Next, you could possibly put the logmein servers in the pass list of your modules, or ultimately create a bypass rule to let logmein traffic pass through easier.

One other possible cause comes to mind: there may be a conflict between the HTTPS ports configured on your UT fr admin access and those used by logmein. An other shot in the dark...

Hope this helps.

LD
    Last edited by Louisd; 05-19-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Thanks guys. That gives me something to go on. Once I get back over to that office I will try these suggestions out. One other thing I may try is to move the Untangle box on the backside of the ASA to see if that changes anything as well. Thanks again.

I had similiar issues with LogMeIn and the only way I have been able to resolve it is to first ping secure.logmein.com and add that IP address to the Bypass list. It worked for a week and then didn't but then I noticed the IP address changed, so added the second one to the list.

I have not taken the time to get a full list of possible IP's for secure.logmein.com.

Hope this helps.

I know logmein runs fine behind Untangle....I have a few clients that use UT also use logmein, no problems. 2 of those Untangle clients have the superbundle...so pretty much all components of Untangle are loaded.

I look at your network layout and wonder if you're doing triple NAT.
    The old PIX at the edge, and then Untangle, and then the newer ASA. Is each of them doing NAT? Or are two of them?

Better question...why 3 firewalls? And with the oldest one at the edge? One of the reasons for the question...is because things like double NAT (or worse..triple) can give you quirks like this...I've seen it happen with remote desktop software. (not new recent web based software, but years back when people used such dinosaurs like PcAnywhere, CarbonCopy, Timbuktu, etc.

The pix is doing a basic firewall. The ASA is acting as a more specific traffic cop and the untangle box is being used as basically nothing more than an extra layer of protection- I am not using the firewall module on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast