Default Monitor Availability of UT Remotely

I have multiple UT Servers throughout various organzations all over Long Island. I am looking for a way where I can have a dashboard or overview of all the UT Servers to see if they are online or not. I'm not looking to connect to them or get any statistics other than if its online or not. Some sites that we monitor have Servers behind the UT so we will be notified if the Server goes down and can immediately start looking into it but some other sites only have workstations.

I have read a bunch of articles about SNMP as well as its integration with Kaseya (we have Kaseya installed for out remote monitoring of the workstations and server) but I am unable to get a clear way of getting it to work. We could possibly do SNMP monitoring via the internal but if the UT goes down, the agents won't check in and we won't get able to get the SNMP alerts from siad workstations.

Mainly, I'm looking for a way to be notified instantly (via text, email, or popup on a computer in my remotely office) if an UT stops responding.

To note, we are and CANNOT be linked with a VPN so I need this to be completely over the internet via the external interface.

I've looked at Nagios, Cacti, Wiki Syslog and a few other pieces of software but they look way too complicated for what we need.

Can anyone recommend any remote monitoring solution and if possible, direct me towards how to set it up? I have complete control over the ports that need to be opened on their UT as well as any that need to be opened on my office end.

If you need any addtional information, please let me know. We have clients running on UT 7.41 as well as the newer 8.11 releases.

Master Untangler

I would do this the simple way. Script to ping all external interfaces of your UT box's when pings start to fail an email alert is sent out. Pretty straight forward and easy to get working. This could be done from any machine in your office with a connection out. The more clients with static IP's the better. The ones using DHCP for their address you may have to check/update every so often. Thats my 2 cents.
    Last edited by AdamB; 06-22-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    I would do this the simple way. Script to ping all external interfaces of your UT box's when pings start to fail and email alert is sent out. Pretty straight forward and easy to get working.
    I was hoping there would be something a little more involved than just a ping. We have nearly 100 devices deployed and would like it to check in every minute rather than a constant neverending ping. A dashboard of all the devices (like LP or Kaseya or Logmein) would be great!

Anything like that?

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Techworksinc View Post
    I was hoping there would be something a little more involved than just a ping. We have nearly 100 devices deployed and would like it to check in every minute rather than a constant neverending ping. A dashboard of all the devices (like LP or Kaseya or Logmein) would be great!

Anything like that?
    In the works, but nothing yet. There have been quite a few requests for something such as this so I would imagine its on the slate for To-Do's.

Untangle Ninja

If you don't like Nagios or OpenNMS, then it doesn't get simpler than this: http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php

I don't like nagios, too time intense to get setup the way I want. Now OpenNMS... I feel castrated on the options, but it's so stupid easy to setup! The more I tinker the more my laziness tells me I found a nice place to be.

Untangle has SNMP support, and it is possible to monitor that SNMP with many things. Nagios and OpenNMS are just the tip of the iceberg of options here.

OpenNMS has a path feature as well, you can tell it that all the workstations are behind the UT, so when the UT goes down, it doesn't fire off failures on all the nodes behind Untangle. It just fires a path failure notice and lets you know the router is not working. Just don't ask me how to use that feature... I'm new to OpenNMS and while that feature is there, and what it does is rather obvious, I haven't taken the time to figure out how to configure it yet.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-22-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Kaseya can do it but kaseya is pricey and heavily geared at windows.

Brother uses Icinga to monitor his 150 some dialers at his datacenter location. Mostly a monitoring solution he says than a management solution.
    Last edited by Big D; 06-22-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

i use nagios - see my tutorial here if interested:

http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/1...angle-7-x.html

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Just don't ask me how to use that feature... I'm new to OpenNMS and while that feature is there, and what it does is rather obvious, I haven't taken the time to figure out how to configure it yet.
    Node - admin - config path outage - enter next upstream node and service, software stacks everything else, verify in Path Outages. At least in the ver I'm using, which is a little older. Works just fine.

Untanglit