Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Outlook 2003 Extremely Slow To Push/Pull Email

I don't really know how to categorize this post or if it really fits in this category.

I have 8 locations with the same 8 custom built untangle boxes. Each one is using 2 Intel nic cards and AMD quad core proc's with 4 gigs of ram each. They are set up as bridged in 3 offices. One of those three offices is having issues with Outlook sending and receiving. The internet speed is 1.5mbps down and 512kbps up via DSL in that particular office. This box was installed on the first of the month and this office started experiencing (or started reporting problems) on the 6th dealing with emails via Outlook 2003. Webmail works fine. They can download and send via webmail without issue but Outlook will stall and get stuck sending occasionally or while receiving.

I had the office personnel to up the server timeout time and this alleviated the issue some but the downloading of messages took well over 7 minutes for 10 messages and the bulk of them being less than 28k with one being 1.5megs as it had an attachment. The mail is being delivered via pop3 and sent via smtp.

Yesterday I turned off the Spam Blocker (I have the lite version of Untangle), Attack Blocker, and Open Portal. I noticed no difference. When I do speed tests (just to insure there are no issues with internet speed) they show what I listed above which is what they are paying for. The DNS settings are straight from the internet provider and the same ones that worked before the Untangle box was set as a bridge, plus I am not getting Page not Found errors.

Any ideas? Pointers? Any information or experience with this (or a similar) issue would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Perhaps this is a dumb question or totally not the right place to post this. Or perhaps I am being punished for not including a diagram of my single subnet network. Or perhaps no one really has an answer thus no one has posted anything....

demarc-->dsl router-->Untangle-->LAN

Never experienced any issue with POP3 and Untangle.

However, I never run Untangle as a bridge anywhere...I always have it as the edge device...getting the public IP address on its WAN interface.

Opens up the chance for risk..but what if you turn off the AV module and then do a send/receive with one client. (assuming you have good local antivirus on the workstation0

That is how I prefer to set them up but I wasn't sure if a DSL phone line (cutting it and putting a CAT6 head on it) would work to bypass the DSL router and just use the Untangle box. I only have 3 offices using DSL.

I will try deactivating the antivirus as we are running TrendMicro through the server at that office. I will report back tomorrow if that makes any difference.

You can't just plug the phone line into the WAN port of the router...you still need a DSL "modem". Most of the DSL "modems" they use now are actually little combo modem/routers and usually run NAT themselves. You log into their little web admin interface..change a few settings, which turns them into just a plain bridged DSL modem. Now it's running like the old fashioned DSL modems..just uplinking to the device that you use for your router.

What make/model is it?

It is this but without the wireless. And yes, it is set up how you describe.
    http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=73

I have turned virus blocker off and will see how that fares in the grand scheme of things. Thanks.

1.) RPC over HTTPS is a much better solution for Outlook 2003+
    2.) If your exchange server is behind the Untangle, I would disable POP3 filtering. There is no need to filter the traffic twice, once inbound to the server and again when the client requests it.
    3.) You should never submit client SMTP on port 25, so it shouldn't be subject to filtering by the Untangle.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Thanks mrunkel. There is no exchange server- they have a windows 2003 server. What they are doing is similar to someone buying domain space and name and utilizing the free email accounts that come bundled with it. So there email is on a server in some other state and they use outlook 2003 to handle and store email.

So I don't know that point 1. and point 2. apply to this situation but point 3 does. I will see if we can get in contact with the webmail host and see if they have an alternate port that can be used. In regards to point 3., can you shed some light as to why you shouldn't use port 25 if you are using an email client (at least that is what I think you are saying).
    Thanks.

Things are still slow with the emails even after turning off the antivirus. I am in the process of getting the internet speed turned up to a faster upload speed to see if that helps resolve issues sending out messages. If that doesn't work I will report back (that will be at least 30 days).

I got a call this morning and emails would not come in or go out (same issue that has been happening at that office). We restarted the DSL modem and that did not help. I then turned off every module except Spyware blocker and Webfilter Lite. She then closed outlook and reopened it and everything came in. So, this would lead me to think one of the modules I turned off may have been interfering with the send/receive ability of network traffic (notably, email). I will leave the modules off all of next week and see if I get any reports of email issues. If not, I will start turning them back on one by one until the problem reappears. I will update here on the progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast