Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Incorrect shut down issues (5.1)

I have everything fixed, but I thought it was weird enough to put a post out here about it.

We had a power outage last night and our external dept's untangle got knocked offline. I had them start the PC back up. It at first appeared to be working, sorta. I saw this happening:

Working:
    Internet access and basic routing
    OPenVPN from Client (External) to Server (Main Building) (Site2Site both UT5.1)

Non-working:
    OPenVPN from Server to Client (Site2Site both UT5.1)
    Webstart WebPage (HTTP or HTTPS)

Since there is no monitor on the system, I had them pull the power cord and then plug it back in and start the PC. Same issues. I then went there, plugged in a monitor/mouse and hit Shutdown. Then I started it up.

Then everything started working.

So the lesson is if it doesn't shut down properly, things ain't gonna work right.

mdh

I read the other day that an unexpected "event" causes a networking issue. Restarting once doesn't help. Restarting a second time fixes the problem. I guess that's Untangle's way of saying two wrongs DO make a right!

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    I read the other day that an unexpected "event" causes a networking issue. Restarting once doesn't help. Restarting a second time fixes the problem. I guess that's Untangle's way of saying two wrongs DO make a right!
    No thats for the config->networking GUI - that bug won't effect the webstart.

I'm not sure what was going on here.
    I'm sure the answer is in the logs.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

mdh

Thanks for the clarification!

Ya, I'm sure, I'm not worried, cause in my mind I fixed it. Also note, that before I figured, "Hey, why don't I start it and shut it down the right way." I incorrectly reset it about four times

Master Untangler

The solution to this sounds really easy. First, you need to understand electrical components and how the internet works with computers.

First off, all things being equal, when you have a power outage, everything shuts down. Then when the power comes back on, everything powers back up.

There lies your problem. All Operating Systems, that I have had the pleasure to work with, upon initialization and pre-boot, they love to go out and find the network and pull in the ISP information. So when everything comes back online, at the same time, the Untangle Box, didn't grab the ISP internet and you then have to shut it completely down, and then start it back up. Possibly, depending upon the ISP carrier, even needing to reboot the modem/device to re-establish itself.

The answer to this problem is to set the bios to OFF after power outtage and manually turning the system on, after all the other devices have had time to re-stablish themselves first.

I be willing to bet you have the Untangle Box bios set to turn itself back on or previous state after power fail.

Brat, close, but no cigar. That would not account for the fact then when I had my guys pull the power cord on the UT only and then boot it back up it still showed the same problems. The only solution was when I did a clean reboot from the UT menu.

My guess is that most people without KVM's are not dedicating a keyboard/video/mouse to UT. If UT doesn't restablish full functionality after a dirty shutdown this is going to be problematic for those people, especially for system integrators like myself that aren't at customer's sites.

Granted, I haven't experienced this issue myself. I've had other issues, like having to restart UT mid-morning for a week straight, but that's another topic, and the problem went away on its own.

I do gots the keyboard on it, cause you know, I'm too lazy to disable keyboard checking in bios

Master Untangler

This happened to me, twice this past week, due to storms. After the first time, I made these changes and the second time, no problem.
    Does the Untangle handle the IP assignments static/dhcp?
    And, did your guys, reset the ISP modem/device first so it got fully booted again, prior to restarting the untangle? Especially DSL accounts, they take a while longer for the line to synch with the ISP device normally.
    Of course, I realize that nothing really beats a proper shutdown and restart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast