Master Untangler

Default DHCP and DNS Server Entries

Hello,

In the Configuration--Networking sections...... what is the difference between DHCP Server, and DNS Server?

Both are enabled right now , and I currently have Untangle dishing out a specific range of IPs via DHCP. I also want to assign some static DHCP addresses, which I am doing in the Static DHCP Entries section. All of this seems to be working as desired......

However....... I am wondering what the "Automatic DNS Entries" section is for. I have several clients showing up in Automatic DNS Entries as well, but nothing in the above Static section.

Perhaps I am doing this wrong? Or should I be using the DNS section for something? Or turning it off completely?

Thanks

It depends on your goals.

Automatic DNS entries are entries that are insert into DNS based on hostnames specified when DHCP leases are handed out.

Static DNS entries are ones that you want to always lookup to the specified IP.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

ah, ok that makes more sense now.

So, to follow up on my use of Static DHCP entries.........

Basically right now on our network we have wired and wireless workstations, and a guest network. I have a few different virtual racks, and they are based on client IP. The wired clients are using static IPs, and wireless clients using a combination of static, DHCP, and DHCP via static DHCP.

So let's say my lowest workstation was using 192.168.1.5 and the highest was using 192.168.1.150. Let's also say there are about 50 unused addresses in this range. If i wanted to assign every single workstation MAC (both LAN and Wireless workstations) into the Static DHCP entries area.... could I then open up the Untangle DHCP range all the way from 192.168.1.5 -.150? Would that ensure that any workstation using DHCP get assigned the IP I had pre-selected for it in the Static DHCP entries area? This would then allow guests on the network to be assigned an IP from the remaining open IPs in the pool?

any Static DHCP Entries you create will assign the specific IP to the specific MAC, any MACs not listed will get an IP from the pool.

Master Untangler

ok great, thanks for the reply!!

So, for workstations (both wired and wireless) that are "permanent", would it be recommended to assign them all static DHCP, and then open up the whole pool IP range to allow guests to grab anything unused?

And wondering what happens if a permanent workstation (with static assigned DHCP) is turned OFF, and a guest connects..... is it possible for the guest to be assigned the IP set aside for that permanent station if that IP is currently not in use?

edit: also wondering what happens if I assign a static DHCP to a workstation's MAC, and that assigned IP is outside the range of the DHCP pool? Will it assign my preferred IP, or will it instead take from the DHCP pool?
    Last edited by bluesky; 12-14-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    ok great, thanks for the reply!!

So, for workstations (both wired and wireless) that are "permanent", would it be recommended to assign them all static DHCP, and then open up the whole pool IP range to allow guests to grab anything unused?
    that's what i do at home.

And wondering what happens if a permanent workstation (with static assigned DHCP) is turned OFF, and a guest connects..... is it possible for the guest to be assigned the IP set aside for that permanent station if that IP is currently not in use?
    i don't think so, but i'm not 100% sure.

edit: also wondering what happens if I assign a static DHCP to a workstation's MAC, and that assigned IP is outside the range of the DHCP pool? Will it assign my preferred IP, or will it instead take from the DHCP pool?
    no clue.

Master Untangler

ok, cool..... time to start entering MAC addresses!
    Thanks.