Master Untangler

Default Office Internet Connection - Way too slow during lunch hour

Whilst our office internet connection is fine during office hours, at lunch time it crawls to a standstill.

I suspect that it is the amount of people that go on the internet at lunchtime (probably the majority of staff - about 40 of) rather than what sites are being accessed.

Of course people do go on Facebook, but I understand that this doesn't actually transfer huge amounts of data. Youtube is blocked and no other video streaming occurs.

We have a 9MB connection via BT, with the standard Untangle setup (no extra modules purchased). Our setup is as follows:

Internet
    |
    BT 2Wire Router
    |
    Untangle (4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo, cpu log at zero all the time, RAM hardly used, attack blocker on)
    |
    LAN

How do you guys deal with maintaining a stable, and usable internet connection during lunch hours when many staff are accessing the net?
    Last edited by BadBoyHouse; 03-19-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Internet Connection T3 link contains two fiber optic cable which operate by receiving and transmit of the 2 cables that are well-organized at data broadcast operating at forty five Mbps in speed. These types of lines are consisting of 672 single channels equal to the same figure of phone voice grade appearance and data broadcast operational at 64 Kbps in speed. I think it works at during lunch hour.

I would get application control and start watching what the staff is doing. Then using application control start limiting the bandwidth available to non-business needed stuff. It is going to take a bit but with careful monitoring you can shape the traffic to leave enough free bandwidth for the important stuff.

facebook and other sites have their own video feeds and chew up more bandwidth than you think.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    facebook and other sites have their own video feeds and chew up more bandwidth than you think.
    I expected that to be the case. There are a number of staff that play Zynga Poker on Facebook during their lunch break. I imagine this won't be helping.

yeppers. time to manage their internet usage with application control(you'll need the bandwidth control module as well).

Master Untangler

I'll try with some selective blocking first of all. I imagine this will resolve most of the problems.

Thanks for your advice

Something is not right. I'd double check your QoS settings and interface stats. Make sure you don't have a duplexing issue. 40 people should be able to use Facebook quite comfortably on a 9Mbit link. Now if you have someone doing massive file transfers, that will saturate the link right quick.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Master Untangler

I blocked Zynga Poker earlier on and the net was fine during lunch. Will obviously need to monitor this over the coming days.

I've never touched the QOS settings - in fact I don't have the Advanced section enabled in config.

How do you view interface stats?

you have to drop down to the command line and run ifconfig
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>