Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Never was able to fix this problem...

On a 30mb down/up cable modem connection, with only me as the client, I was running Untangle on a dual core 1.86GHz Atom D2500 with 2GB RAM and dual Intel gig NICs. Netflix would hiccup and buffer constantly, and large file downloads (ISOs and gz's and such) would abort randomly without ever completing.

I posted a few times, tried a bunch of stuff, turned off ALL appliances, and still had issues.

I've now been without Untangle for a few weeks and my network is 100% solid.

But, with kids in the house, I need a content filter. So I'm wondering if better (faster) hardware would help. I suspect that the web and virus filtering apps were causing the problems. I read some old (years old) posts on the forum and it seems like the http scanner does something along the lines of temporarily pausing the download, then scans, then resumes... Or something to that effect.

IE, Firefox, and Chrome all had issues downloading large files.

I'm looking at Core 2 Quads on ebay, and for $50 I can get a 2.4GHz quad core CPU with 8MB cache. I have an old HTPC with 4GB RAM in it that I can use to resurrect my Untangle system...

Based on what I've read and experienced, this seems like massive overkill. But I need content filtering, and for my network to work. I can't live with just one or the other.

Ideas?

I'm running a similar dual atom system at home. Netflix streaming needs to be bypassed for optimal performance. Config -> Networking -> Bypass. Otherwise all the traffic is filtered with no issues.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

yeah, I also doubt more CPU would solve it as I doubt thats the core issue. That machine is plenty powerful enough.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

I've read that the spam/AV features are CPU hogs, and that Atoms (generally) have trouble keeping up. Is this not the case?

They are fairly CPU intensive, however you should not ever have truncated files in either case. Even if the CPU is mega slow it will abort the scan at 29 seconds and proceed to stream the rest of the file.

If you are getting truncated files its probably because something else is resetting those connections because it has a very low idle TCP timeout. Thats usually the issue anyway.

You are welcome to try new hardware, it might work. I just personally don't think it will solve the issue as you already have decent hardware.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Sure, with 15-20 people using it, that's not a home environment.

Also, the Spam filter only really becomes an issue when scanning SMTP.

The AV will just operate a bit slower, and IMAP / POP3 scanning will take longer.

All game consoles, and devices utilizing netflix should be bypassed. Filtration doesn't help them much anyway. If you have a bluray player that does web browsing + netflix and you want netflix to work while the filters are engaged... well you're just SOL. I know, because I've got a Pioneer BluRay and netflix is terrible on it unless I bypass everything leaving the player.

I tried doing a rack just for the player that was only the web filter, it didn't work any better / worse than running the player through the default rack with every toy in the book.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I don't have 15-20 users...

I appreciate the replies. Like I said, with the untangle system, I get aborted downloads. Small files are fine. Large files never complete.

Without untangle, everything works fine.

So I'm at a loss for what it could be. I had a stock configuration, then I tried various options offered up on replies to some of my previous posts, and nothing worked. It finally got to where I couldn't do my work at home without bypassing the untangle system, so I removed it. But now I miss the content filtering.

I'll give better a hardware a shot and see what happens I guess.

As for the netflix devices, we have one Roku. Everyone else uses their laptops, and I use my desktop.

How old is your install? Did you move hardware with a backup / restore?

What is your report data retention set to?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

The install was not even a few months old, and I took it out of service last month. Was the most recent build at the time.

This was a fresh install, from CDROM.

Other than turning reports on and off, I never messed with the other settings.

Ok, I was just curious.

I've had several cases of what you describe run through my own home on my Untangle. But this installation dates all the way back to 5.2. There are so many changes that came through the install just wasn't quite right. The most recent issues had to do with the old Kaspersky stuff laying around.

I'm afraid all I can say is that PC based netflix works fine for me, player based netflix needed a bypass. Also, large file corruption is just a strange issue since the AV modules ignore large files.

Short of something fundamentally wrong with the installation due to some hardware defect, I'm not sure what it could be. A fresh install operating default settings on hardware of the class you've indicated should operate just fine.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast