Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Auto Register - What if I don't have access to client router

I'm planning on shipping units in Bridge mode, as most clients already have routers set up, feeding their networks.

Mostly, I plan on getting the router admin info and configuring our DynDNS account, or just port forward. I'll need their existing network information, of course, to configure the UT box with a static IP.

It got me thinking about a more automatic way.

Is there any way to configure a box to automatically report in to me without touching the client router? Maybe an add-on module I missed?

We'll do the installs where it's locally possible. I was tossing around the idea of marketing outside of my area and using contract installers. Plug in LAN/WAN and be done...

I would really love to have these reporting back to me no matter what. IE if the client says they have a static but somehow WAN side changes. Like a LogMeIn for these things.

Master Untangler

You're going to want to be sitting at the box for sure.

Bridge mode + public address on Untangle = You're doing it wrong.

So careful there.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle will soon provide a command center for your registered boxes.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Outstanding.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Bridge mode + public address on Untangle = You're doing it wrong.

So careful there.

Unique port plus SSL plus long password? What's the problem?

How else would you manage them remotely?

We've been managing things online via SSL since there was SSL. If there is some particular vulnerability I'm all ears!

In this instance, most of our clients are on Comcast with their newest breed of All in One boxes. I prefer to let the firmware handle all the DHCP and DNS for SMB clients. This is the same reason I take it away from Windows Server.

If it's a complicated setup, I'll rip the router so I can have easier management of DHCP Scope and QoS.

If it's not a complicated setup, I can go with a less expensive UT box because the load is distributed and 9 out of 10 times the client isn't even using any port forwards. Zero reason to rip anything they have. Drop in a security box in between router and switch and we're done.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post

I was hoping to hear that. Thanks.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    You're going to want to be sitting at the box for sure.

Someone will have to unplug and plug in stuff, sure. Trying to streamline the process.

Quote Originally Posted by FarVision View Post
    Unique port plus SSL plus long password? What's the problem?

How else would you manage them remotely?

We've been managing things online via SSL since there was SSL. If there is some particular vulnerability I'm all ears!

In this instance, most of our clients are on Comcast with their newest breed of All in One boxes. I prefer to let the firmware handle all the DHCP and DNS for SMB clients. This is the same reason I take it away from Windows Server.

If it's a complicated setup, I'll rip the router so I can have easier management of DHCP Scope and QoS.

If it's not a complicated setup, I can go with a less expensive UT box because the load is distributed and 9 out of 10 times the client isn't even using any port forwards. Zero reason to rip anything they have. Drop in a security box in between router and switch and we're done.
    Don't misunderstand, I have no issues with Untangle having a public address on it. After all all of my Untangle routers have public addresses on them, with remote admin enabled and they work terrifically.

I was referring to using a public address on a bridge mode Untangle, which indicates you're placing Untangle on the Internet, outside the NAT device that services the network. Untangle needs to be inside NAT while operating in bridge mode, or it cannot function properly. If your setups don't have NAT involved, then you can safely ignore me.

If you drop Untangle between their router, and their main switch, Untangle doesn't' have a public address and you're going to have to setup a port forward in their router before remote admin is exposed anyway. If this is your plan, you're doing it correctly and again you can ignore me.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Don't misunderstand, I have no issues with Untangle having a public address on it. After all all of my Untangle routers have public addresses on them, with remote admin enabled and they work terrifically.

I was referring to using a public address on a bridge mode Untangle, which indicates you're placing Untangle on the Internet, outside the NAT device that services the network. Untangle needs to be inside NAT while operating in bridge mode, or it cannot function properly. If your setups don't have NAT involved, then you can safely ignore me.

If you drop Untangle between their router, and their main switch, Untangle doesn't' have a public address and you're going to have to setup a port forward in their router before remote admin is exposed anyway. If this is your plan, you're doing it correctly and again you can ignore me.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I was leaving out some basic external WAN discussion. I'm currently setting up a port forward in client's router and it's not a problem. I was just ruminating about some type of automatic registration, and centralized dashboard, in case the client changes providers or does some funny business at the site. With all our other remote access tools, it doesn't matter.

Probably not a big deal in the long run. I just don't like clients noticing things are down before I do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast