Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Odd web/local traffic issue upon deploying Untangle

I am having an odd issue deploying Untangle. Currently the company is running an SMC 8014 from Comcast that then is uplinked to a 16 port Monoprice GbE switch. There are currently zero issues with this configuration.

The new setup is pretty basic with the SMC8014->Untangle (router)->Monoprice switch.

I have the latest version of Untangle installed on a SUPERMICRO SYS-5015A-PHF 1u server. I am wanting to run Untangle is bridge mode, and let it handle all the routing on the network. No matter what configuration I try none of the systems will function properly. They will all acquire a local IP just fine and I am able to ping internal and external IP's. When I ping any external websites from a machine I will usually have about a 70% success rate. When I ping from within the Untangle interface I always have a 100% success. Any time I try to access the web I either get garbage back on the screen, or a security alert. I can browse from within the Untangle interface with 100% success.

I have tried disabling IPMI with no success, thinking it was possibly causing some type of conflict. I have tried disabling DHCP and the firewall on the SMC 8014, and since I can browse from with in the Untangle interface I have ruled it out as an issue as well. All cables connecting Untangle to the switch, and the SMC 8014 are new Monoprice CAT6, and have been swapped to eliminate as a possible issue.

I am looking for some recommendations from the community on what to try next. Please let me know any more details on the current configuration. I am almost leaning towards a NIC issue.

Can be a issue with the auto negotiation speed/duplex. Try changing to fixed 100 Mb full duplex in Untangle internal nic card, sure you have less to 100 MB of internet speed
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    Can be a issue with the auto negotiation speed/duplex. Try changing to fixed 100 Mb full duplex in Untangle internal nic card, sure you have less to 100 MB of internet speed
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out when I get out there later today and keep the thread updated.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jon.yonke View Post
    I am wanting to run Untangle is bridge mode, and let it handle all the routing on the network.
    While UT can route in bridge mode, UT isn't the default gateway in that configuration so it only routes traffic that happens on through. Use Router mode to let it handle routing for everybody and let it be your default gateway. Be sure to then set your modem in bridge mode to eliminate double NAT and so that UT will get your public IP address on the external interface.

Quote Originally Posted by bhackbarth View Post
    While UT can route in bridge mode, UT isn't the default gateway in that configuration so it only routes traffic that happens on through. Use Router mode to let it handle routing for everybody and let it be your default gateway. Be sure to then set your modem in bridge mode to eliminate double NAT and so that UT will get your public IP address on the external interface.
    Yeah, I had a brain fart. I meant to type router, and will edit the 1st post. Thanks for the info.

edit: Any reason I can no longer edit my 1st post? Is there a time frame for that?
    Last edited by jon.yonke; 01-13-2013 at 01:44 PM.

I had a chance to stop by the shop today.

Changing the duplex settings did not help.
    I also brought along an older Linksys 8 port switch, to take the Monoprice one out of the equation. Same issue again.

Picture of garbage that is produced when accessing web.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cpz9ncqeh...2016.51.10.jpg

Memtest your Untangle server. If you've got a bad memory module, the OS can conceivably work, but still corrupt packets as they transit Untangle. A Defective NIC can cause this as well.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

At least you've got two onboard Intel gigabit NICs, so those are probably good. If not you easily RMA the unit with Supermicro. My experiences with them so far have been quite positive.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Memtest your Untangle server. If you've got a bad memory module, the OS can conceivably work, but still corrupt packets as they transit Untangle. A Defective NIC can cause this as well.
    Memtest came back good this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by bhackbarth View Post
    At least you've got two onboard Intel gigabit NICs, so those are probably good. If not you easily RMA the unit with Supermicro. My experiences with them so far have been quite positive.
    Would you suggest that over RMA through Newegg? It is less than 30 days from purchase. I am thinking at this point it is a hardware issue, nothing points to a config or RAM problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast